911 guru's, please help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jajibaji, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Jajibaji

Jajibaji Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

I'm looking to trade in the G35 for something fun. I've been trying to study up on these cars, but was wondering if OT could help a brother out. Ones I'm interested in...

1984-1989 - These have the 3.2 engine, which apparently is quite bulletproof. 1987 has the G50 tranny, which is a plus.

1989-1993 - I like the look of these a bit better, but I hear that some of them can leak oil like a mf.

I know these are German cars and as such, demand the maintenance that other cars may not, and double since some of the models are over 20 years old. I'm just looking for opinions of what a good model year is and what I should try and avoid. Thanks.

Side note, I've tried to look through some of the forums out there, but haven't found too many that were helpful. Any suggestions?

2. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Honestly, www.rennlist.org is your best bet for technical knowledge.

Also, check the tech section of www.pca.org and I highly recommend Scott Zimmerman's book "The Used 911 Story."

For what it's worth, the 1979-1983 911SCs and the '88-'89 911 Carreras are generally regarded as the most reliable of the marque as long as they are well maintained.

3. Jajibaji

Thanks bro, I'll check those out.

4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot OT Supporter

5. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Both Pelican and Rennlist are good for information. If you find one you're interested in, get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) from a mechanic you who is familiar with these cars. I have an 86 Carrera cabriolet that has given me no problems. I take it in once a year and get a 15k maintenance done (oil change, valve adjustment, etc) even though I only put 5k a year on it. It does get some pretty hard use though, as my wife autoX's it about 8 times a year.

6. Jajibaji

I read through Peter Zimmerman's PPI checklist and was wondering, how much do you think it would cost to hire a mechanic to do it? Obviously, there would be 'check' points where if something didn't pan out, he would stop at that moment, but I'm talking the full shebang. Just looking for a rough estimate so I can budget accordingly.

Side note: m3m750, that bike seems familiar, did you ask awhile back about purchasing an s4 wagon?

7. m3m750

I got an S4 Avant and posted pictures a while back.

When I bought 86, I paid $154 for the PPI. That was in Wisconsin, and I didn't have Peter Zimmerman's checklist, so your results may vary.

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Get one with a G50 trans for sure. They all can leak oil (RMS or rear main seal) and the maintenance is high (read: 13 quart oil changes). But they are the most rewarding car to drive. My father had a 1989 911 and it was just a blast.

9. m3m750

the upside of the 13 quart oil change is that your oil change interval, even with conventional oil, is 15k miles.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I disagree on this point. I'd never go over 5k on a air-cooled Porsche, seeing as oil truly is its lifeblood.