'91 Red Mustang Detail, my first time using a buffer, using Surf City products

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by midnite, Aug 7, 2009.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Paint was pretty oxidized and faded. Some parts need a heavier compound, especially the front bumper

Before pics in the shade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used Surf City Beyond Clay with a Porter Cable 7424XP buffer and orange CCS pads. The fox mustangs are notorious for the front bumper fading and the beyond clay was not aggressive enough to get all of the fading away, however for a noob I think it did a very good job, smoothed the paint as smooth as ive ever gotten it with a normal clay bar. Finished with their Shine On kit which includes the Nano Seal and Nano Shine glaze. I got 50% off their products through work so I thought I would give them a try and I am pleased. Paint is nearly 20 years old and the hood and maybe other panels has been poorly repainted sometime in the past.

after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am wanting to go over the front bumper again and possibly the hood with something more aggressive but I am not sure what to use. Meguiars #9 and their ultimate compound is available locally but im not sure if that is enough. I hear good things about the Meguairs #105 but not sure. Any help is appreciated and thanks for looking :bigthumb: I know it wont be perfect like a modern base/clear car but it is certainly better than before.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks a lot better. :)

Be prepared to really keep up on the paint now so it doesn't fade again. Meguiars products are especially good on single stage paints. #205 did an amazing job on a guard's red Porsche 928 I did about a week ago.

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

thanks! I am certainly happy with how it turned out as the paint was neglected for a few years while I was in college. Certainly surprised my dad and a few friends who always thought the car needed a repaint to ever look shiny again :big grin:

Do you think the 205 would be enough to bring the bumper back or should i step up and do the 105/205 combo?

4. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Pink to reds are always rewarding.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd say you should start with 205, and if it doesn't work just step it up to 105 (or try a more aggressive pad with 205 and then step up to 105).

6. midnite

midnite OT Supporter