91 4.3 c1500

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by elephant16, Sep 30, 2002.

1. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

I picked up a news one wheels magazine becouse its getting close to the time i will get my first vehicle. (in april hopefully) any way i will have 2000 maybe 2500 if im lucky. I saw a chevy c1500 in there for 1997 dollars. Its a 91 model. What could be wrong with it. Would 2000 dollars be how much they go for or do u think it may have a blown motor. Ive narowed my choices down

early 90's chevy c1500

Ford bronco II 1500-2000 that ive seen.

early 90's blazers.

Out of these vehicles what would get the best gas milage and be really dependable. Also let me know if chevy 1500s go for that cheap. THose look like nice mid size trucks that posibly would be good on gas. MY dad had one. Im not positive if it was a c1500 but it was a chevy mid 70's v6 truck. That old thing got the crap beat out of it. The thing rusted to pieces and was still running when he gave it away.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

have you concidered teh s10 parts are cheaper better gas milage and you can still eat the living piss out of them and good luck findin an early 90s fullsize for 2500 in decnt shape it would ahve to be no options v6 motot never washed or cleane and proaby blown motor

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I'd rather have the fullsize with the 4.3 than an S-10 personally.

You won't really notice a gas mileage difference between the two, and the fullsize is roomier and more versatile because of its size.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

<-s10 nazi

5. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

not to mention its a fat slow pig with the 4.3

the 4.3 and a S10 is decently quick esp with a 5spd

6. chevyman

chevyman Guest

fullsize 4.3=slow and underpowered

s-10 4.3=seat of your pants fast (relatively speaking)

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

They aren't that slow fullsized, especially with a manual.

I drove a '93 fullsize with a V6 and five speed and it was surprisingly quick.

I've also driven a '01 Silverado base with a V6 and automatic and found it had plenty of get up and go.

8. chevyman

chevyman Guest

I guess my standards are higher. I found even the stock 350 in my 2WD 1500 Shorty to be a little slow. But then it had a tired 700R4, so that may have been why. Once the tranny locked up, it was pretty quick.

9. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

to me, n e thing under 250 hp in a fullsize is gonna be slow, personally id prolly want atleast 300 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. the more the merrier

10. Tx

Tx Guest

most things are interchangable between the 4.3L (262) and the 5.7 (350). except ofcourse the intake, crank, cam, oil pan, and anything else to do with the length of the block.

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah when we rebuolt mine we used 350 pistons the only down side it most after market parts are sold in 8s

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im honeatly not sure my uncle had new 350 pistons laying around im pretty sure they are teh same parts didnt realy look into it to much

i would assume they would be the same they ahve the same bore and same storke unless the 4.3 heads are drastily differnt and other than not flowing worht a shit they are.

13. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

if you tell the place that you have a 4.3 USUALLY they will pull two of the parts out for you and lower the price a bit, cause they can sell them to someone else.

and a 4.3 is the same, you dont need to change the compression ratio either, even the head is the same, valves work, rockers work. etc

a guy on a board took a ramjet intake off a 350, cut out the third row welded it back together and put it on a 4.3

14. slowrado

slowrado OT Supporter

the fullsize 4.3 comes w/20more hp than the s-10 4.3 and 10 more tq than the s-10

i beat my good friends 4.3 Extreme many times (3-4 cars) w/my fullsize 4.3 (CAI, tbspacer, pulleys, flows) and his (CAI, tbspacer, traciton bars)
    Those s-10 4.3's lose power up top, stock to stock he would get me by a couple cars in the 1/4 but i'd always end up pulling him in pretty easily up top
    We both have autos.

edit: also i have a 00, he has an 01'