90's tacoma for offroading

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jonnywong, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jonnywong

jonnywong New Member

anybody got a 90's tacoma they go offroading with? im thinkin about buyin one and need to get some ideas for tires/lift...are mods for say a 96 tacoma relatively cheap? this would be a budget wheeler to some degree. Also i was wondering how they match up against jeeps on the trails...the one thing ive been told thats bad about the tacoma is it doesnt have a straight axle like jeeps. This a big deal?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends what kind of offroading you're doing. Also, 4x4 or 4x2?

Get the 5VZ-FE. The 3RZ-FE is worthless. The A340E tranny (automatic) is shitty, imo, but it works. It doesn't take like much power over stock, however.

Suspension varies. If it's for clearing a slightly bigger tire, then you can get spacers for cheap (hurts ride quality, imo). (around $250)

For more money, you can get a set of coilovers, like my donahoe racing 2.5". (around $1000)

If you want it for looks, or need more than about 3" of lift, then you need to either do a custom SAS or do a drop-bracket lift. Pricing varies.

Would really help if you posted what you wished to accomplish? What I consider a "trail" can be handled by any stock 4x4 TRD Off-Road Tacoma.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ya....the stock 4x4 tacos with the 3.4 V6 (i think its 3.4 after 1994) and the manual tranny is pretty tough. With some deent rubber, that truck has lots of ground clearance and 31's. ^^ogre said that to do spacers would be the cheapest and what I recommend for you just to fit slightly bigger rubber on, but still keep the ride quality relatively similar.

if ur just doing mudding and light to moderate trails that taco will hold up pretty well even with just that factory locker (TRD package). If you like rocks and ease of fixing then go for a solid axle rig.

4. jonnywong

jonnywong New Member

I'd definetly be looking for a 4x4, preferbly a 3.4 v6 w/ 5 spd manual. My budget is in the $4000-$5000 range including any suspension mods and tires i need. Im really looking for a newer taco, but my budget is the limiting factor so i'll probably end up picking up a mid 90's model.

The trails id be riding have deep mud pits with some rocks, they are basically snowmobile trails that we ride when the snow melts...most of my buddys got jeeps so i would want to accomplish something that is just as a capable as your average offroad jeep.

5. jonnywong

jonnywong New Member

[​IMG]

heres a 1990 taco i saw on toyota nation. This is pretty much what id be looking to do (except a little newer)

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

do ur buddys jeeps have lifts and if so how high and what size tires? The big factor is your budget b/c toyota's hold their value stupidly high so even a 10 year old vehicle costs 7k.

as much as i like the toyotas, u maybe should consider a jeep just because of your budget and the fact that you want it to 4wheel as good as other jeeps. The taco is very good in its own right but its a little more to care for...since it is IFS

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, depends what you wanna do. For high-speed trails, the tacomas eat jeeps for breakfast... but for slow crawling, they're not the greatest. Of course, a SAS changes that, entirely.

8. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

True... I've run washes with a friend's dad's Tacoma and that thing hauls ass.