GUN 90 Jersey City cops pulled from street duty because of cracked guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 2, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Guns' cracks take 89 cops off the streets
    (Jersey City - Smith & Wesson 9mm Automatics Found to Have Cracks in Frame)

By MICHAELANGELO CONTE - Saturday, June 2nd, 2007 'The Jersey Journal' / Jersey City, NJ

About 90 Jersey City cops were yanked off the street this week when their aging service weapons were found to have hairline fractures in their frames, officials said yesterday.

Officials at the department's firing range noticed the cracks in the Smith & Wesson guns carried by some officers and alerted Police Chief Tom Comey on Tuesday.

Fearing the guns might not function properly, 89 officers - about 10 percent of the force - were taken off the streets and given desk duty while the department hurriedly looked for replacements. Police service levels were maintained by other officers working overtime, Comey said.

Police raided their armory and handed out backup guns to some officers, who will have to be trained with the new guns before going back on their beats.

Yesterday afternoon, the Newark Police Department came through.

Newark officers recently switched to a different type of gun, leaving a lot of Smith & Wessons that could be loaned out. Newark's guns are newer than the cracked guns in Jersey City, which are about 20 ye

Jersey City Police Officers Benevolent Association President Harry Sandwith said that when he came on the job in 1985 police carried revolvers but that a few years later they switched to the Smith & Wesson 9mm guns in question.

"In 1990, Smith & Wesson became aware the weapons weren't holding up and they upgraded to a different model with heavier frames," Sandwith said. "They never contacted any of us that bought the weapons. Now we have 90 police officers that are stuck with a weapon the department has deemed unsafe to carry."

Paul Pluff, director of marketing for Smith & Wesson, said last night that the Jersey City guns are simply old.

"These guns are 18 to 20 years old, and they have been out of production for years," Pluff said. "It's no different than having a car that's got 200,000 or 300,000 miles. Most departments usually roll their guns over every seven to 10 years."

Pluff said that based on what Jersey City is saying is wrong with the guns, "They would not fail to function."

"Eventually, you can take them to a point where they will fail," he added.

Pluff said Smith & Wesson will work with the Police Department "any way we can."

Comey said the Police Department has switched to being a "one gun" department, in which all officers are required to use a Glock .45 caliber semiautomatic. But when that policy was implemented, a grandfather clause allowed officers to continue using the weapons they had.

The chief said he's hoping the 89 officers will be packing heat by Tuesday.
    --

Should of bought Glocks

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

:werd:

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

then the article would have been about 90 cops that shot themselves:mamoru:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah luckily glocks are always flawless. Other than all the leo's that have seen problems with like the g22 with the indiana state police being the most vocal. And of course those are new and actually have failed while being shot. But uh glock perfection, yeah.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

mine ran great today!

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And so do the s&w guns in most people's hands. Everyone makes a few lemons now and then, even glock.

7. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

While going through the academy some officers had s&w sigmas. All failed to fire/jammed after multiple rounds and were in and out of the shop. s&w makes great revolvers and their new M&P sounds alright so far but the rest are tackle weights in my book.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've never had a sigma but their metal framed semiautos are a very different animal. If you get a chance try one out.

9. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

my smith 5906 has been flawless

10. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

The layout of the metal framed S&W's I've seen suck in my opinion. You almost have to turn the gun entirely sideways to reach the slide lock. I have large hands too.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

"These guns are 18 to 20 years old, and they have been out of production for years," Pluff said. "It's no different than having a car that's got 200,000 or 300,000 miles. Most departments usually roll their guns over every seven to 10 years."

Guess it sucks when your design isn't anywhere close to the good old 1911. 10 years? That's just breakin time for a slabside.

12. MTech

MTech New Member

What model S&W ??

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its a question of ergonomics I think. For a thumbs forward grip I kind of like the configuration as it keeps my thumb from riding the button up or down. I can reload and use my left hand to work the release or the slide. To me its positioning feels alot like a 1911.

14. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Too bad they're not carrying 1911s. :hsugh:

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Most likely 5906's considering the time frame.

16. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

betcha my kimber can run faster than your glock.

17. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Have fun reloading every 8 rounds

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I was thinkin more along the lines of the 100 yard dash.

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

http://world.guns.ru lists the 5906 as coming out in 1990. From what they have listed those were the three digit generation (4xx, 5xx, 6xx).

20. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

The Sigmas weren't be best guns from everything I've heard. Add that to the fact they've used them for 18 years, and yeah, you'll prob see some wear and tear. I don't hear of many 20 year old Glocks in service, either...

Polymer guns, imo, just aren't build to withstand 20 years of heavy use. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like they aren't as durable.