90+Fox Body 5.0

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Omega6_Virus, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Today, I changed the oil in my 93 Volvo and I heard how the engine was running. I had my sisters b/f who is someone I trust with cars look at it. There is no doubt he knows what he is doing. He knows I have some plans to modify is and try to get some power out of it for racing at the strip, just to get attention. He said it was probably time to move onto another car and that pushing the car could only bring more problems at its current state.
    So, with that, I looked online today. I came across a 92 5.0 hatch. It has 68k miles, 5 spd, and is very clean in and out. I emailed the seller asking to schedule an appointment for me to see it in person. I was wondering what people here think and if anyone here happens to own one, and what are you experiences. Is there anything special I should look at? If you are only knocking the Ford name, please stay out. I am not partial to any car, but I love the look of this mustang. Thanks in advance.

2. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

First thing...how important is speed to you? The 90-93 Fox body 5.0 is going to be lighter then the 94/95 5.0 but in my opinion the overall quality of the vehicle isn't as high. If speed and power are a definate priority then go for a fox in good condition they're great cars and the motors are practically indestructible. If better fit and finish and ergonomics are priority then go with the 94/95. Both are great vehicles and will make for some reliable transportation. The bad part to both are the weak 5 speed trannies. Also, do NOT buy a Ford auto...they're terrible in terms of shift quality, shift speed and longetivity. If you're even thinking of considering an auto then look at a 91/92 Z28 with the 350 TPI motor. 93+ Z28's can be had in either a 6 speed manual or auto form and those are good cars too. Saab also makes a couple cars you may wanna look into. They've got a couple turbo cars you can get and make fast for reasonably cheap.

3. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

yea i have an 88 5.0 gt but you will love it.. trust me ;)
    take a digi with you and get pics of everything and post um, if you can take vid clips, do that also of the dash while driving..
    i cant really tell you what to look at because you dont know what to look at.. lol so just alot of pics would be the best

but a notch back is the way you wanna go if you are gonna mod.. since they are the lightest of the 5.0s.

however, if you want to mod the car then you need to check manufacturing date of that model, Hyper pistons were put in all 93 models and also late model 92 mustangs which is a no no for modding.. people will tell you 93 only.. but they are not getting the whole story.. i know.. trust me

4. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

He's right but I wouldn't say the hyper pistons are turds. But from 88-91 they did put in forged pistons and those things run FOREVER....friend of mine has 220k on his and has run more than 40 bottles of nitrous through his 90 stang...its either a 100 or 150 shotI can't remember...the thing still runs like a champ.

5. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

The T-5 in the 5.0's are good up till 350-400hp, I heard.

I also heard that most Z-28's of that era only had autos (pre-~93). The 305's had T-5's but the output shafts were puny (= to Ford 2.3), and can't handle any power. Not sure if this is true.

6. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I'm not certain how far I will modify it if I do get it. The seller emailed me back and said he had someone else who may be purchasing the car as well. I will probably keep it near stock, and only add an intake and open the exhaust a bit. I would like to do some sort of forced induction, probably supercharging, but I am not certain yet. And again, this is all if I can even get the car. Thanks again.

7. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

mine is for sale, its an automatic, but i have a manual tranny with everything that goes with converting it to a manual that goes with it.

8. tejano

tejano OT Supporter

A couple of words of advice:
    First of all the car soudns nice from what you described. A 5.0 with those low miles and in as nice a condition as you described was more than likely taken well care of. Care is very important with any car. The 302 HO is an especially robust motor but it will break just like any other if it's not taken care of properly. As far as modability, the 5.0 responds like you wouldn't believe. Just gears, intake and exhaust and you'll think you're driving a different car.

Now on to other topics. Fox Vs. Sn-95 (94-95, also 96 and up but those had the mod motors, different animal)

I used to own a fox and now I own an SN-95, and let me tell you a few key differences. The fox will have a nicer interior. panels wont come loose and its high quality. If its a leather car, the whole damn thing is leather, and very nice looking if well kept. Even the leather SN-95's (like mine) have plastic doors and dash. foxes have leather/vinyl doors, and look way better. Dash is also cleaner and simpler and looks more refined, imo. The plasticy interior of the SN-95 Looks way cheesy, especially in that ugly tan/orange concoction common on SN-95's. Foxes generaly had nice colored interiors. SN-95 had better seats but as far as ergonomics thats as far as it went. The door panels are unusually high, higher than any other car i've driven. At first it feels like you're hanging on but its something one can get used to. The SN-95's (as with other fords of the era) had an issue of seat belt mechanisms that didn't retract properly. They still protect you in a crash but sometimes when you get out of the car the seatbelt just sits there. Its annoying, cheap to replace, but after driving my 11 year old fox who's seat belts worked right every time, feel like i shouldn't have to. Leg room is not good in either car, if you are above 6'2", you may wanna find out if its something you can get used to. I constantly feel like my interior is falling apart, but in my fox it felt VERY solid and didn't make annoying squeaks.

As far as driving, I actually like the fox better. It feels more nimble, although handling characteristics aren't as good as the SN-95. Foxes are heavy but my SN-95 feels like a tank. Its a personal preference.

The only reason I dont drive a fox today is because the fire breathing rev happy 32 V 4.6 loured me in. I'd much rather have this motor in a fox chassis, but thats an expensive proposition.

As far as supercharging and forged pistons and all that go, a few things should be considered. Forged pistons are stronger than the hypereutectic pistons but not by a whole helluva lot. Any piston will not fare well in a poorly tuned forced induction application, hyper or forged, it makes little difference. Bottom line is the forged will put up more of a fight against detonation but that's not a battle you even want to pick. Running hypereutectic pistons with a safe tune forced induction application is perfectly safe.

And before I people get on me for saying that, let me at least say it comes from research and personal experience. I supercharged my 1993, and blew piston #8. I blew such a huge hole in it, when I showed it to my machinist, he laughed at me for kicking myself for not going forged, cause they would not have made a damn difference.

1992 is a good year. It has the larger front fenders (so you can fit 17's up front w/o rubbing) and also the more aggressive cam specs as opposed to the weak ones the 93 got stuck with. with 6X,XXX miles, that car is young, and ready for just about whatever you want to throw at it.

Go 5.0, you wont regret it.

9. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I test drove the car today. Man, was it thrilling. It's not something I'm used to at all. The e-break doesn't work, and there are a few rattles, but it was most likely caused by the change sitting in the car. It was fully powered and has a moonroof. The seller is the 2nd owner, and he got it from a guy who had to sell it to move into his own place. The current owner got it to drive to work, hes a cop. In the two years he has had it, hes only put 1500 miles on it or so. Now, he has a patrol car he can take home, so he doesn't need the mustang, and he also has a custom bike and a truck.
    The only thing is, I do not feel the car is worth his asking price of 5.7k. It does have flowmasters and headers and the car is just perfect. KBB says it is worth about 4.5k. I asked the seller how much he paid for it, and he said 6k. So he wants to get what he paid for it back. He did say that if it doesn't sell, he may go for my offer, which is about 5k.
    The rear end slips every time you stomp on it. It's a lot of fun, but I will need to be careful. Right now I'm thinking, if not this 5.0, I'll get another.

10. tejano

tejano OT Supporter

5.0's are a dime a dozen. They are not rare despite what everybody thinks. If you dont feel this one, hold out for another.

11. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Its getting harder and harder to find nice ones though :sad2:

luckily i already got one :wiggle:

12. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Very true, to find a well maintained nice speciman is getting very difficult at least around here. Tejano my experienc with the Fox vs the SN95 is opposite of yours. I feel the newer ones have a better looking dash and are build better but I do have a more limited experience then you do. I've got three friends with them two of which got rid of their fox's for the ones they've got now. All three of them feel the SN95 is the better overall car but quite a wide margin...

13. tejano

tejano OT Supporter

maybe i should clairfy. Fox = More fun to drive, SN-95=more pleasant to drive.

I'm holding my stance on the interior. I would have really appreciated it if SVT would've upgraded the cobra interior, but noooo, all we get is some guages and a cobra logo on the steering wheel. Fox interiors were just simpler, cleaner, nicer lines.

14. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I own a '92 fox. If you buy this car just remember that it's over 10 years old. My car has had a few problems recently that are due simply to things wearing out. My alternator went out within the first two weeks of owning the car (a common occurrance with fox bodies). Last week i had a coolant hose burst.

I like pretty much all models of Mustangs except for the Mustang II years. I used to own a '69, i have a '92 now, and my best friend owns a '95 and a '96 Cobra. I'll say that i like the SN95 interior better (better seats and better ergonomics). I like the look, weight, and 5.0 engine of the foxes. The fox has a weight advantage while the SN95 has better brakes and can fit larger/wider tires. I like the dash in the SN95 WAY better because the radio controls aren't blocked by the shifter like the fox cars (i HATE that!). I like the 5.0 engine better than the 4.6 because it's dirt cheap to mod and makes good torque stock.

Each car has it's good and bad points, but they're all fun. :)

15. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

:( Car sold. It's okay tho. The rearview mirror was kinda messed up and the rear defrost looked damaged. I'll find another in spring time.
    It's all good. I just looked on AutoTrader and came across 7 5.0 5spds with less than 80k miles I would buy. I am a very happy boy right now. :wiggle:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  16. opie and anthony 102.7

opie and anthony 102.7 your mom's box

i just sold my 1988 LX 5.0 for $1,500. it had 125,000 miles on it, and it ran strong as hell. it pissed oil from the rear main seal and the valve covers but i kept on top of my oil. i had the car since 1995 and i honestly cannot believe i sold it. but i also picked up a 2002 GT 5 speed with 2000 miles on it for 18,500. i miss my 5.0 already, i kept it in such good condition, i only put like 35000 miles on it in the past 8 years. oh well

17. bugginout

bugginout New Member

i've been thinking about a fox body too. it'll have to be a daily driver so reliability is a big concern. i know the engines are supposed to be bulletproof but how many miles can you get out of the tranny. also, how many miles should i be looking for and what kind of prices. not trying to hijack this thread by the way. just thought i could get a little info too.

18. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

I sold my stock T5 tranny out of my '89 with 235,000 miles to a friend for $325. The tranny shifted perfect. The 94/95 stangs are a step ahead of the fox's in interior design. My fox rattles, my '95 doesnt.

19. txgti

txgti OT Supporter

If anyone is looking for a top noth, LOW mileage Fox.. I'm selling mine.

It's got everything you'd need for the most part.

1993 Cobra. Heads, Cam, Intake, Exhaust, Gears, freshly rebuilt T5.

Not to mention that it's only got 20,xxx miles on it. ORIGINAL.

Hit me up if you're interested. If not, I understand, and if you've got any ??s for me, I know a ton about Mustangs. :)

20. matt_c

matt_c Guest

i think the fox body is the best generation of the mustang. granted, if i ever bought one, i'd have to put a real (chevy) motor in there.

21. Fordgasm

:greddy:

22. matt_c

matt_c Guest

i knew that would get a reaction out of one of you :fawk:

Don't get me wrong, Ford has several good platforms, but i'm more inclined to Chevy par

23. Big'Un

Big'Un "Just once i would like to dine at an American pin

i have a 92 lx 5.0.

someone said that they forged 88-91, well if im not mistaken they were forged through 92..and in 93, they used the hyper shit.

my car has 150k miles on it....ive modded mine and i beat the hell outta it on the track every week. things will break but the beauty of these cars is that
    parts are very easy to get a hold, and they have a relatively low priced aftermarket.

as far as the car itself....id get a 5spd....its a lot more fun and keeps you invloved in driving. the AOD's are okay but not preferred...if you want an auto, wait til you get some power in the car and do an AOD-E.

anyway, i say go for it, but if youre not in a hurry find one you really like.....i found one that was bone stock and well taken care of..thats the best way to go IMO

24. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

as i stated to begin with.. forged were in 87 - 92... HOWEVER, there were a SELECT FEW late model 92's with Hyper pistons... ALL of 93 has hypers

25. Fordgasm

And for the record hypereutectic pistons arent crap. It just depends what application you want to use them on.