90' Eclipse GSX - Decent DD / Beater?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Faikius, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Faikius

Faikius OT Supporter

A friend of mine is looking to sell his 1990 Eclipse GSX to buy a bigger car. He's the original owner and says the car has never been modded. Knowing him, I'm fairly sure he's telling the truth.

It's got 100k on the clock, and looks decent except for some obvious paint wear here and there... What I need to know is, would this car make a decent beater / DD / project car? Do the words DSM and "relaible" belong in the same sentence?

He's asking $2100

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

any car is a good daily as long as you take care of it. find out what's wrong with it, fix it, and do preventative maintenance from then on. and if you want a project, a 1g awd dsm is my definition of project car :coold:

3. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Guest

good deal, daily driver though eeeeeeh project car!

4. BigBADGSX

BigBADGSX New Member

dsms rule....but why wast it as a daily driver? haha dont worry he will catch the disease and start modding it.

p.s. get the timing belt changed along with the bshaft belt. and send him to www.vfaq.com
    www.dsmtalk.com
    www.dsm.org

5. Faikius

Faikius OT Supporter

Thanks for the links :bigthumb:

Rest assured, If I buy it the first things I'll do after basic maintenance are:
    Free mods
    Boost Gauge
    MBC :)

6. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

before you do the MBC, you'd better hack your airbox, get a K&N and free up the exhaust first.

Also since i noticed you lived in houston as well, check out www.eosperformance.com/forum

I work at a shop called DSA here in h-town (Bingle and 290), and we can help ya out w/ any mods you would like done.

7. Faikius

Faikius OT Supporter

Cutting the airbox / removing the silencer were what I was referring to as "free mods" :)

Thanks for the tip on the shop. I'm sure I'll be spending some time there soon :bigthumb:

8. BigBADGSX

BigBADGSX New Member

also make sure all the recalls are done...especially the transfer case recall. All you have to do is make sure you take care of basic maintiance and the car will be good to you. But if you beat on it everyday and put it up without giving a shit then things will start to happen. Remember how old the car is, things are bound to screw up on you just be patient with it and trust me you will LOVE IT.

good luck man