9-pin serial madness

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bobsbarricades, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

Ok... the short of it.

I was given a grant to research brainwaves and I'm trying to get the EEG to work inside of a program called Max/MSP. The main suckballs fact of life is that the developer of the EEG I baught (the CEO from MindPeak) is for windows and I'm trying to run Max on my Mac. Not a big deal usually because Max/MSP has an object inside of it that cam communicate with serial ports and the jazz but the serial port is going through a usb/serial copnverter.

Here's where I need your help. I know that after the EEG is plugged into the converter and thence plugged into the USB port on my Mac that they CAN talk with each other. My problem is not knowing what type of information this freakin EEG machine wants to turn on, stay on, and transmit all of it's data along the serial>usb>Mac>Max/MSP so that i can manipulate it.

I ran the PC software with it plugged into an old 9pin serial port on that PC and used a serial spy program to tell me what exactly happened. My problem is that I don't know what to do with that information to replicate it in another piece of software (Max/MSP) and turn it on in a non-native environment.

OK... I need to know where I can find out more information on this and what types of HEX messages serial ports transmit and how they transmit them and yadayadayadayada. I really need help with this because I am going absolutely crazy with this.

Thanks to anybody that understands what the hell I just wrote.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay, if I understand the first post, you already have the serial port working on the mac. Therefore deusexaethera's post doesn't help you.

On windows, I would use a terminal program to capture EEG data as it comes through. There is a high probability that it's using ASCII commands. Determine if it's time or event-driven, then figure out what everything means, which shouldn't be too hard given you know the input and status of the EEG and should already have an understanding of what it does, so you know what it needs to provide the software.

If it's in binary, you're screwed. But it probably isn't.

4. deusexaethera

(re-reads the original post)

Can't you get your hands on an old POS PC laptop or something? It wouldn't have to be a good PC, because serial ports are so incredibly outdated that a PalmPilot could keep up with the data transmission rate. I really don't think it would be worth the effort to make this work on a Mac; that's the manufacturer's job.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I disagree. This is a worthwhile project. That EEG is going to be around for a long time... and the reliability of that old PC won't keep up.

6. deusexaethera

My question was not whether it was worth trying to make the EEG work on his Mac, my question was whether it was worth HIM trying to do it. He should contact the manufacturer to see if they have a Mac or *nix version of the software already made.

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

hook it up to hyperterminal on a pc and see what its sending through. youll need to know the baud rate and other serial settings for the eeg machine. What's the model number and name? There's probably some documentation on it. Most serial interfacing machines use ASCII code with different fields being preceeded with a character value and then some following numbers. But like jolly said if its not ASCII and you cant find any documentation on it then youre probably fucked :)

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I would look into openeeg.

9. Bobsbarricades

Alright, well my main reason for needing it to be on a Mac is because that's the only kind of laptop I own and I need a laptop to do this because I am going to travel up to Indiana (live in florida) for a conference to perform this.

I have used a program already called Serial Monitor and that showed me a bunch of information. It told me that it was using 9600 Baud, it told me what the DTR and RTS settings were (which are I'm assuming the only two things whose settings turn it on or off because when I turn the DTR 'off' from an 'on' position - that's the only time I can get the EEG to respond by simply blinking it's singular stutus light once [as opposed to it staying on which is what i'm trying to accomplish])

When i looked at the HEX code for everything that the computer sends out while turning on the EEG software natively on PC, it gave me 19 entries of HEX - 16 0d's followed by a 08 00 00. From what I've come up with I need to figure out wether or not I need to send that information in a line or all at once (i'm really new to serial so excuse the ignorance if that's impossible.)

JOLLYOGRE - How would I figure out if it's time or event driven? Also do you happen to know of any terminal programs that could capture all of the data that is comming in?? If I could get that program to write to a file, I can have Max/MSP read the file it writes at a speed that would allow a contiguous stream of input.

Peyomp - I wish I looked into this earlier. I sort of blew it off because I could only see a way to build an EEG...after rumaging through the software I found a better EEG that was the same cost that wouldn't be causing all of these headaches... well I'm lookin around for software and I think I found one that can help I just have to figure out how to install it on Mac. I think EEG's were never meant to work on a macintosh :(

Thanks a ton for all of the help you guys have given. Please throw any more ideas you have out here as they are more than welcome!!

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Based on it's output. Does it poll on a set interval, or only when something happens. A mouse, for example, is event driven. Move the mouse, and it reports the movement... Leave it alone, and it doesn't report anything.
    linux does that. I assume OSX can, as well, from the terminal. cat /dev/device > test.txt

11. Bobsbarricades

Ok, cool, thank you very much. I am meeting with my professor tomorrow and will post you guys on the new questions that come up (as they most certainly will if this goes anything like it's been for the last 2 weeks)

12. Bobsbarricades

haha, too cool to be true. On that openeeg page I found a piece of software called Bioera. I downloaded that and in the process of getting it to work i had to install rxtx and then voila... Bioera has a lot of functions built in that allow me to move the data around. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

13. deusexaethera

Nice call Peyomp!

Where the hell did you find out about openeeg, anyway?

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

When I was a neurobiology major, I was to participate in that project for an honors thesis, or something along those lines. At the time version 1.0 didn't have an optical cutout, so strong power surges could technically cause brain damage. People in that project were shaving circles on their heads for home-made electrodes to go on. Its just a blast, that whole project. Haven't checked on it in years though, glad to see its still going. There is much to be done with neuro-feedback.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

;)

16. deusexaethera

The Japs claim to have made a device that can control a computer mouse using natural brainwaves (as opposed to brainwaves that take years of training to generate)

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats been done by alot of people. Its pretty neat. Have they productized it?

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

was done years ago. Saw a video demoing it.. dunno if it was authentic or not, tho.

/checks behind curtain.