GUN 9 Dead in Nebraska Mall Shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MTech, Dec 6, 2007.

1. MTech

MTech New Member

I didn't see this on here and can't believe nobody has posted it or been going off about what happened today yet..

9 Dead in Nebraska Mall Shooting

By ANNA JO BRATTON and OSKAR GARCIA – 3 hours ago
    OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A man opened fire with a rifle at a busy department store Wednesday, killing eight people in an attack that made holiday shoppers run screaming through a mall and barricade themselves in dressing rooms.
    The young shooter, who left a note predicting, "Now I'll be famous," wounded five others, two critically, then took his own life.
    Witnesses said the gunman sprayed fired down on shoppers from a third-floor balcony of the Von Maur store using what police said was an SKS assault rifle they found at the scene.
    "My knees rocked. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran with everybody else," said Kevin Kleine, 29, who was shopping with her 4-year-old daughter at the Westroads Mall, in a prosperous neighborhood on the city's west side. She said she hid in a dressing room with four other shoppers and an employee.
    Police found the first victim on the second floor, then several more near a customer service station on the third floor.
    The shooter, identified by police as 20-year-old Robert A. Hawkins, was found dead on the third floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and his victims were discovered on the second and third floors.
    Omaha Police Chief Thomas Warren said the shooting appeared to be random. He would not release the victims' identities and gave no motive for the attack.
    Hawkins was kicked out by his family about a year ago and moved in with a friend's family in a house in a middle-class neighborhood in Bellevue, a suburb wedged between Offutt Air Force Base and the Missouri River, said Debora Maruca-Kovac, a nurse who along with her husband took in Hawkins, a friend of her sons.
    "When he first came in the house, he was introverted, a troubled young man who was like a lost pound puppy that nobody wanted," Maruca-Kovac said.
    Maruca-Kovac said Hawkins was fired from his job at a McDonald's this week and had recently broken up with a girlfriend. She said he phoned her about 1 p.m. on Wednesday, telling her that he had left a note for her in his bedroom. She tried to get him to explain, but he hung up, she said.
    She called Hawkins' mother, went to the Maruca-Kovacs' house, retrieved the suicide note — in which Hawkins wrote that he was "sorry for everything," would not be a burden on his family anymore and "now I'll be famous," she said — took it to authorities and went to work.
    Hours later, Maruca-Kovac said, she saw victims being brought in to the Nebraska Medical Center, where she works.
    Police received a 911 call from someone inside the mall, and shots could be heard in the background, Negron said. By the time officers arrived six minutes later, the shooting was over, she said.
    "We sent every available officer in the city of Omaha," Negron said.
    The Omaha World-Herald reported that the gunman had a military-style haircut and a black backpack, and wore a camouflage vest.
    "Everybody was scared, and we didn't know what was going on," said Belene Esaw-Kagbara, 31, a Von Maur employee. "We didn't know what to do. I was praying that God protect us."
    Mickey Vickory, who worked at Von Maur's third-floor service department, said she heard shots at about 1:50 p.m.
    She and her co-workers and customers went into a back closet behind the wrapping room to hide, then emerged about a half-hour later when police shouted to come out with their hands up. As police took them to another part of the mall for safety, they saw the victims.
    "We saw the bodies and we saw the blood," she said.
    Keith Fidler, another Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more rounds. Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men's clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.
    Witness Shawn Vidlak said the shots sounded like a nail gun. At first he thought it was noise from construction work at the mall.
    "People started screaming about gunshots," Vidlak said. "I grabbed my wife and kids we got out of there as fast as we could."
    Shortly after the shooting, which came three weeks before Christmas, a group of shoppers came out of the building with their hands raised. Some were still holding shopping bags.
    Police told people to park their cars at businesses across from the mall and to wait for their loved ones, then directed them to an Omaha hotel to await information.
    Nebraska Medical Center spokeswoman Andrea McMaster said it had three victims from the mall shooting, including a 61-year-old man in critical condition with a bullet wound to his chest.
    Three victims were brought Creighton University Medical Center; two died and the other was critically wounded, spokeswoman Lisa Stites said.
    By Wednesday evening, police were using a bomb robot to access a Jeep Cherokee left in the mall parking lot. Authorities believe the vehicle belonged to Hawkins. Officers had seen some wires under some clothing, but no bomb was found.
    President Bush was in Omaha on Wednesday for a fundraiser, but left about an hour before the shooting.
    "Having just visited with so many members of the community in Omaha today, the president is confident that they will pull together to comfort one another," White House press secretary Dana Perino said.
    The Von Maur store is part of a 22-store Midwestern chain. The sprawling, three-level mall has more than 135 stores and restaurants. It gets 14.5 million visitors every year, according to its Web site.
    It was the second mass shooting at a mall this year. In February, nine people were shot, five of them fatally, at Trolley Square mall in Salt Lake City. The gunman, 18-year-old Sulejman Talovic, was shot and killed by police.
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hVYXjOfGYMebpWYh7i02fTan43VQD8TBNACG0

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Best part of the story.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people. I guess there are some things I will never understand.

3. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I thought he killed himself...

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

reading comprehension > you

5. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Wrong

The Talovic dude was a completely different shooting.

6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

What a douche bag, now there will be people wanting to support the new AWB... :mad:

7. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Yep that was the first thing that went through my mind.

The second was that someone should have had a gun to take the fucker down.

8. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

Always the first thing that goes through my mind when something like this happens

9. terrist

Military style haircuts should be illegal. Civillians don't have any use for a military style haicut unless they're into terristisim

10. t1h

t1h Guest

can't conceal carry at the mall here. they have the "carrying of concealed firearms not allowed" sign at the mall, and if I carry in anyway and get caught its a felony :hs: so i just have to hope shit like this doesn't happen at the mall here.

it took 6 minutes for authorities to arrive, wtf :hsugh: i guess the dunkin donuts needs to be closer to the mall

11. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I wonder if the mall this kid went into explictly forbids firearms in their entirety. If so we may get a little bit of a reprieve.

The best case scenario for us here would be him using an illegally obtained bolt action rifle. I feel sorry for the people in the mall that had to go through that, but maybe it'll wake up the state legislators and make them put legislation through that forbids concealed carry in a place like that.

I look very forward to the day when I hear a story about a rogue gunman being gunned down by a bystander who had a concealed carry permit. It's just a matter of time really.

12. terrist

I thought all they could do was ask you to leave?

13. t1h

t1h Guest

in my state if a business has a sign saying "carrying of concealed weapons prohibited" and you carry anyway. its a felony.

and...i guess i need to pick up an SKS before they are banned now :hs:

14. t1h

t1h Guest

15. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Luckily in some places the worst you can get for carrying into a place that has such a sign is a trespassing charge, but even then, they're just going to probably never know or ask you to leave.

Then again, I'd try to avoid shopping at those places.

16. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Ah, the big national news agencies didn't have anything on that (they just buy the story from AP anyways).

I'm still not too worried, the SKS doesn't look like an 'big bad awful killed-my-dog-and-raped-my-Barbie-doll assault rifle'.

No pistol grip, no care.

17. terrist

But it fires the same devastating and organ exploding round as the AK47 Assault Rifle, and with instructions from the internet that are available to anybody it can easily be modified to take Hi-Capacity AK47 Machinegun clips

18. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Those same internets can teach you how to build fairly decent high explosives too. If the kid had wanted to wreck havoc you could have levelled the entire mall.

Yes I realize you're being sarcastic.

19. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Duffel bag?

20. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

maybe he carried it in a sports bag

the sks isn't long - also don't you think that this will flare up the hatred for the sks? the media thinks it's this 'assault rifle' yet in reality it's a 10 shot clip short range sporting carbine

21. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

It'd flare up even if the guy used a bolt-action .22.

22. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'm surprised that the mall's JanRenoBot didn't call in the BATFE the second he came within 500 yards.

23. hayguyz

hayguyz New Member

OMFG GUYS, HE SAID CLIPS
    banana magazines amirite

24. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

You realize the original post you're mocking is itself completely sarcastic...right?

25. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:hsugh::hsugh:

no shit...