89 Stock 4x4 - Largest Tires?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by boujo, Jan 11, 2006.

1. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

I have an 89 Toyots Ext Cab SR5 with no lift but currently riding on 31x10.5x15s. I need to buy new tires and would love to get bigger ones.

Does anyone know if I can fit any larger tires without rubbing. I know it's a Toy and not a real truck, but it saves on gas and I like the look.

I will go offroading a little so don't think I just want to jack it up to be gay!

Thanks.

2. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

I just said this in another thread. I have a '98 Ranger on the same wheel and tire and they already rub. So my guess would be no.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

depending on the offset, you might be able to manage a 32" tire, but you're going to lose articulation.

Stick with the smaller size until they no longer perform well enough off road.

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Just get a set of 31" agressive tires... IMO that would look better than bigger, boring tires...

Get some BFG AT's, or Goodyear MTR's...

5. victum132

victum132 New Member

i say no on the bigger tires just go more agressive

6. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

with a good crank on the tbars and a lot of offset a friend of mine squeezed 33's on there, but you wont get any better mileage without regearing... just a fact of life. Ive lost mileage when i upped the tire size on all 3 of my toy's (84 + 86 + 97)

i recommend leaving it at 31's, the bigger tire size wont make up for the loss in downtravel. If youre gonna go wheeling and need tires bigger than 31's youve bigger fish to fry with that truck.

7. turboCABBY

turboCABBY New Member

lol ATs are not very aggressive. Boggers, MTRs, baja claws, and iroks are aggressive. Some of those arent available that small though.

You can fit 38s without a lift. just remove some sheetmetal.

lol. REalistically, you cannot exceed a 31x10.50 without rubbing unless you have around a 2 inch backspace wheel and some cutting (fenders). If you wat your truck to look bigger, make a body lift and buy some used 33s.

If you wheel it, just go buy really good tires for whatever terrain you will be on the most, go with lower backspace wheels, and put a locker in the back.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

If you mud...go super swamper TSL Radials (Not sure about the size tho, I know SS usually has a wider tire like an 11.50 w/ their 31's). Sand...I'd prolly stick with some AT's or Even AP's. I'm assuming you don't do rocks w/ that truck but if you have slick stuff go with something like a GY MT/R or anything w/ 3 ply sidewalls :)

Don't oversize your tire tho, or else your gearing will be off and U will feel the power loss in that '89... Agreed on what Superczar said "If youre gonna go wheeling and need tires bigger than 31's youve bigger fish to fry with that truck."

Hope that helped!