89 Firebird with 350ci EFI Vette motor, what do you think?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Jun 8, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

My friend has a red 1989 Firebird with t-tops, '95 IROC-Z wheels, EFI 350ci Vette motor, (out of a stingray, not sure what year, mid 80's about). It has a couple dents on the front passenger side fender, and a couple little dents on the door as well which can be easily popped out. Interior is mint, brand new dash, t-tops (no leakage either), 80-90k miles on it, paint is a little faded and there is a spot or two of surface rust. Auto tranny, in really good condition as well, it needs new front pads, and new front tires. She will sell me the car for $1200 with brand new rear tires.

The car originally came with a carburated (sp?) 305ci. She upgraded it to the vette motor :p She's a car buff, hot one too dammit :bigthumb:

If and when I get it I wiam going to buy a new front fender, remove the rust, repaint it, new front tires and brakes obviously. I want to paint it a deep metallic blue, but I am not sure yet. Anyway, I just wanted your guys opinions on this car. Thanks!

Also, any suggestions you might have. I am going to take her for a drive later this week possibly, or next week. :big grin:

Stealth -

2. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

she shouldn't have gotten rid of the carbureted engine cuz to tell you the truth i hate EFI with a passion

3. StealthMode

Even if it was a 305ci replaced with an EFI Vette motor of around the same year? The Vette motor can't be that bad, she said the 305 sucked, and after she got the car built with the Vette motor she hauled ass.

But anyway, whats wrong with the EFI exactly? Are we talking lots of maintenance? (sp?)
    From what I have told you about the car so far, does it seem like it would be worth picking up for that price? I seriously need something, and hell, this car would be alot of fun, insurance is a lot lower on it than alot of newer vehicles (got it priced out, turned out to be half of a Grand Prix, does that make any sense?) and I can have it paid off right away. Something to drive around for now, and a nice toy later on when i buy something a little more practical.

I'll know more when I drive it later this week or next week. But so far, what do you think?

Stealth -

4. 66comet

66comet New Member

As long as it's not that crappy crossfire injection that they used for that one year (I can't remember) in the 80's, fuel injection is the way to go. You might gain a few hp with a carb but fuel injection is more efficient and has more average hp and tq.

5. StealthMode

Ok, thanks.

6. StealthMode

Looked up the specs on the motor that's installed in the Firebird,

Displacement- 350 cubic inch V-8
    Compression Ratio- 9.5 to 1
    Horsepower- 245
    Torque lbs-ft- 345
    Fuel Injection- Tuned Port

HISTORICAL FOOTNOTES- New for the 1988 Corvette was rollor rockers in the aluminum heads. 0-60 times were down to 5.7 seconds. Quarter mile times were 14.6 and top speed was 150mph. New for 1988 were monster 17 inch wheels and tires that greatly improved road holding.

That part only is half true since it's not an actual vette, but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile et and everything else shoud be pretty close no? Looks to be pretty decent..
    I'm going to look around for a clean Camaro IROC-Z too, personally I like those better, but how would the Firebird with the Vette motor compare with the IROC-Z? Just curious. Thanks for the help :)

Stealth -

7. 1989 they did not have the carbed motors, they had the Tuned Port. Also they did not have IROC rims in 95, 1990 was the last year of the IROC. The stingray corvette had a carbed motor. Don't let the "vette" motor persuade you in purchasing this car. The corvette motors have basically all been the same from the mid 80 to current as all V-8 F-body's. For 1200 bucks the price sounds fair althought most of the information you posted is incorrect and CAN NOT be true.

8. StealthMode

I know I messed up on the date of the rims, I misunderstood her. Damm cell phones... Anyway, to update the situation... The Camaro she got the rims off was a late 80's IROC-Z, and yes, what you said about the Vette motor, tuned port. The Vette motor is not the reason I am wanting the car, the fact that the car is in decent shape, needs a little TLC and that I can get it for $1200 and ay it off right away and low insurance is why I want it.

I went out to look at it today and drove it around. The body has some dings that need to be worked out, no big deal. No major rust, just a couple spots that need just a bit of attention. Imediate repairs are new front brake pads (buddy's g/f can get em for me 70% off) and new front tires and I will replace the front passenger fender when ever I get around to ordering it (if I buy the car) and then later this summer after I have enough cahs saved I am going to have them finish off the body and repaint it.

The car runs good, strong motor, tranny is good as well, no leaks of any kind, weather stripping is still good on the t-tops as well, the custom exhaust sound real nice too.

Hmmm, can't remember if there was anything else dammit... Oh well, I will let you know more when I think of it. She drives pretty nice too, will drive alot better with new tires, brakes and a tune up, then she'll be reay to go till I can afford the paint job :)

Stealth -

9. J-Rod

J-Rod Guest

The L98 (conventional 350) stopped after 1990.
    Then you have the LT1 up to 1997-1998.
    Then you have the LS series motor.

So all 350's up to the present are not the same.

As for a 350 in a Firebird, it was done from the factory, so changing a 305 to a 350 or a 406, or a 434 or whatever you'd like to build is not that hard. They make decent power, and in the 88 Vette I had it ran some 14.67 stock, and ran 13.89 with a test pipe, hypertech chip, K&N filter, 160 thermostat. The car has a really awful 2.53 rear end ratio, so hopefully you'll have a better rear gear. The 350 in the f-body vs the Vette from that era are basically identical, so nothing about it being a "Vette motor" makes it special.

10. StealthMode

Other than the fact that it came with the 5.0 originally (at least in this car).
    I talked to her again not too long ago and whent he motor was installed a Turbo350 tranny was installed as well. It does not have a POSI rear end. Still haven't bought the car yet, waiting to get the movie saved first. I'm hoping to have it before school starts though. :)

Stealth -