'89 Celica Paint Job; savable?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Boomdart, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I haven't made any special effort to even wash it yet, and I have no clue when the last time it may have been waxed or washed. The hood needs to be repainted because the clearcoat is obviously coming off in a 3"x5" area.

A few dings here and there, but I can live with that.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ive seen worse

3. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

It's really not all that bad... It is pretty dirty and faded in some parts though, I believe it should buff pretty well.

I'm going to pay someone to do a good, professional job on it before I get my n00b hands all over it.

Gotta get it fixed first...

4. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Those pictures suck ass but from what I can tell it just looks really oxidized. It's a fairly simple job if you have a buffer but you could do it by hand.

I would use Klasse AIO. I've been able to clean up lost of badly oxidized cars with it. If you don't have a buffer I'd use either a terry cloth aplicator or a terry cloth towell folded over twice. It might take a lot of elbow grease but you don't have to kill yourself and do it all in one day. You could just work one or two panels a day.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

AFAIK, that Celica should be a single stage paint job. Infact i cant think of a single pre 90's toyota that ive worked on that has had a clear coat.

With a decent buffer it should be relatively easy to refresh the paint. But be prepaired for a hefty cleaning job on the pad when youd done to get all the dead paint out of it.