8800 GTX water block

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hathegkla, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I can't seem to find any (except for pre water cooled versions of teh 8800 GTX). anybody know of any. I'm about to buy a new system and I'm thinking of getting a water cooling case (the thermaltake Armor LCS) and it comes with a water block for the cpu but with all that cooling power it would be a waste not to cool the gc. I'm sure some of the ones I've been looking for are compatible but I can't find any specific info. specifically I'm thinking of getting the BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB. the water cooled edition of the bfg one is 940 as opposed to 580 for the regular one, wtf 360 for a water block?

anyway if its not gonna work out I'll probably go with a regular case and air cool it but I was planning on a little over clocking if I go water cooled.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, don't. two wrongs (thermaltake & watercooling) don't make a right.

3. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

whats wrong with it? it got pretty good reviews. theres other ones that I'm looking at this one was just inexpensive.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What's wrong with it is that it's not going to accomplish anything. Is your card overheating now? Has simply moving more air across it not been enough to keep the heat buildup under control? Have you tried to make it work without making the cooling system vastly more complex than it needs to be?

5. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I havent built the system yet, if I get the GTX over the ultra I can over clock it my self, I also wouldn't buy the water cooling system if I couldnt cool my graphics card, it would be a waste unless I could cut out all the unnecessary fans. and yes I'm sure that it would over heat if I over clocked it.

I found a company that has some prototypes but nothing on the market yet.

6. deusexaethera

I strongly recommend that you build the system first and overclock it later. If it can handle what you want it to do without being overclocked (keep in mind that most screens run at 60-85fps, so having a card that can generate 120fps action sequences is totally useless), then there's no reason except having too much free time to even bother overclocking in the first place.

Also, you won't be able to get rid of the extra fans if you use a watercooler, because the watercooler will only cool those components that it touches -- there will still be several other components that will need some kind of cooling in addition to their own ability to radiate heat, and if you don't provide it, they either won't work right or they'll wear out much faster. Hard drives are a really good example of this.

7. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I understand how water cooling works I know I'm gonna have fans (the radiator even has 2 big ass ones) I just don't see a point in water cooling if I can't cool video. and I am definitely not going to over clock the system right off the bat, I'm just thinking for the future. it would be a waste to buy a nice $150 case now and then set up water cooling later on when I decide I need to over clock it. I was just trying to save money in the long run.

since I can't water cool everything I want to yet I probably won't get the water cooled case. I'll probably just get a big case with room for one down the road, if its got enough drive bays I can just throw a radiator in the front I guess. I just wanted to avoid an external system, if I can't keep it in one case I most likely wouldn't install one.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

watercooling doesn't have a point in 99.9% of systems, anyway.

use air cooling and be done with it.

9. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

thanks for all the helpfull info :squint: I don't know why you guys seem to think over clocking a graphics card with just air cooling is such a good idea. I'd rather not fry my shit, but its not cost effective yet, there are only a couple blocks out for the 8800 and they cost too much but since I'm not gonna need to overclock it for at least a year or 2 I'm just gonna wait.

10. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

fuck that. If you're gonna WC, WC. Don't listen to people who naysay it just because they don't see a point. It's expensive for the gains you get, but it's satisfying. It's generally quieter if you get a nice quiet pump and to get the same kind of cooling without noise is pretty damn expensive to do with air.

As a guy whose gone through traditional WC, then started using a chiller, then to phase, and then back to air, I know that it's worth it if you just like to dink around with things. Read a bunch on all the overclocker boards first and you'll be fine.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I don't know if Zalman has released the hardware for the 8800GTX cards yet,
    but I put a Zalman VF900 on my 7900GT superclocked card, and it's running
    a steady 38C at idle at the lowest fan setting.

And +1 for not doing watercooling on a video card if you can avoid it.

12. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

Fuck that. Maybe he just wants to push it as far as possible? Sure there are diminishing returns, but it's fun if that's what you're into.

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

A Zalman VF900 would cause the thing to overheat first off. Secondly there isn't much for good aircoolers for 8800s. There is a the Thermalright HR-03+ but that is it. Thirdly, there is no point in watercooling your videocard unless you are going to volt mod it, between a stock aircooler and a good waterblock you'll net maybe 10-20MHz for overclockability with no added voltage. I watercool my 8800GTS, but I'll be volt modding.

14. deusexaethera

And we don't know why you seem to think watercooling is going to save your ass if you crank up the clock speed too high.

15. Doc Brown

Assuming that Zalman VF900 would even attach to the 8800GTX, what makes you think it would make the card overheat?

16. deusexaethera

Because it's not nearly as cool as a watercooler. You and your "sensibility." God you're such a square, old man.

17. lowfat

The VF900Cu is a decent aircooler, but it cannot handle the heat of the 8800GTS/GTX. It just isn't big enough/have enough surface area.

18. Doc Brown

Do you know how the cooling power of a heatsink is measured?

It's every square inch of every single fin. And on the Zalman VF900 there's quite a few.

Which is something the factory coolers that piggy-back on the bottom of the card just can't match.

19. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

20. Doc Brown

At lower fan speeds, the VF900 is better than the stock ATI cooler.
    I'd call that at least coming close.
    And 5100 rpm on a small fan?
    I'd hate to be sitting next to that thing, but at the same time I think it's fairly obvious that if you put such a high speed fan on the Zalman, it would cool better at high rpm's as well.
    I guess the low speeds are mostly what I like about the Zalmans.

21. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I overclocked my 8800GTX to the max, and saw only limited increase in performance. I mean, for risking the longevity of the card to go from 100fps to 110fps, I don't really consider it worth it. YMMV GL.

22. deusexaethera

Especially considering your screen almost certainly couldn't actually show you more than 60-75 of those fps.

23. lowfat

That ATI is a pretty weak cooler too, they have improved greatly since then. The new ATI coolers (with heatpipes), the 7900GTX coolers, and the 8800 coolers are all better than the Zalmans or any other videocard cooler on the market for that matter (with the exception of a Thermalright HR-03, that thing is a BEAST). They are also a very quiet now a days too.

24. Doc Brown

The HR-03 is a beast, but it still doesn't beat the Zalman for being quiet, unless you don't use the fan. And then it doesn't cool as well as the Zalman.
    Obviously if you're a gamer you're going to go with the HR-03, though. With a fan.

25. lowfat

If you put a low speed Yate Loon or similar fan, it will be just as quiet and still perform well.