GUN 870 Express Jamming

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Incognito315, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Incognito315

Incognito315 New Member

Iv'e had a Remington 870 Express for a few years now. I have only shot it maybe 200 times at most. I went to shoot it again this past weekend, and right after the first shot it jammed very badly. Took me about 5 mins to get the shell out. The next shell did the same thing. I had cleaned the gun a few weeks before that. Was using kind of cheap Winchester bird shot 2 3/4 shells. Before this it would jam, but not as often, but enough to cause me concern. (Maybe 2 out of every 20 shells)

My questions is, I have read from quite a few people that polishing the inside of the chamber will elimininate this problem. I have heard that most people will use Scotch Brite pads on a wood dowl and a power drill. Anyone ever do this? How much should I polish it? The inside of the chamber is rather rough. Any other suggestions are welcome. Sorry for the long post.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Does the action operate smoothly without shells? If you cycle unfired shells do they stick too?

I've heard of the steel wool trick but have never had to try it myself. It is one of those no-harm no-foul type of things where it isn't going to hurt anything to give it a try. If it doesnt' work you're only out the $5 you paid for the dowel and steel wool.

I would think that is the type of thing any non-retarded gunsmith could do for a pretty reasonable cost.

3. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

How was it jamming? I was shooting cheap Estate steel rounds through my friends 870 and the steel was expanding and getting the shell stuck in the barrel. Also a couple of times the magazine tried to push out 2 shells at once.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I've seen that on different shotguns. Most likely the chamber of your barrel is fouled. Use a brass brush on a rod, and chuck it up in a poer drill. Use some good solvenet too.

If this type of gam occurs take the shotgun and smack it butt stock down while holding the pump. This will give leverage to pop that shell out. Make sure shotgun is on safe and keep your head and other peoples heads out of line from barrel just in case.

5. Incognito315

Incognito315 New Member

Yes the action operates just fine without shells, and operates fine with shells that have not been fired. A friend of mine told me that cheap brass or steel rounds will expand when fired and cause the gun to jam.

I used Scotch Brite pads on a power drill since I first made this post, and it smoothed out the chamber considerably. How much should I polish it? To a mirror finish? Or just smooth to the touch?

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What kind of jam? There's an issue with some older 870's (I mean older, yours probably isn't one of them but just in case...) where you could lock them up with a bad pump of the action.

From innertubes so I don't have to type
    Yar's solution will clear a jam in either ;)

7. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

My brand new 870 express does the same exact thing. So far I've tried Cheapo winchester and Federal game loads, as well as a couple other styles of buckshot. It jams damn near every single time. I use Yar's method of holding it by the foreend, and slamming the butt on the ground. It's annoying, but it's what I've been doing for now.

Shotgunworld folks offered up the same suggestion to me; steel wool + wooden dowel + drill. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Me thinks Remington just got a bit carried away with the coating.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I had a friend that had a similar problem with a brand new 870 Express Magnum, on its first time out. just took a little more effort to cycle. shooting cheap target loads.

9. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Simple answer: get a Mossberg.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

happens to mossbergs too, happens to all shotguns if you use either shitty ammo or a dirty chamber.

11. Willie J

Willie J New Member

sounds similar to my problem. i added a mag extension and the new spring wasn't powerful enough to push the shell into the ready position. then as i pushed forward on the action it simultaneously attempted to eject the spent shell, then load the new one.

12. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Ive never had it happen on our Mossberg. Then again, we keep it spotless, and dont put that much ammo through it when we do shoot it.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I don't have problems with my 870. But then the thing is all slicked up. Polished chamber, all the rails are stoned, pump like butter.

14. Incognito315

Incognito315 New Member

I had a Mossberg 500A, it was a huge piece of shit.

15. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Are you running the shotgun like your'e beating a redheaded stepchild? Run that *itch HARD and let it break in.

16. Incognito315

Incognito315 New Member

Alright well I just ran a bunch of 2 3/4 deer slugs through the chamber tonight without firing them and the gun is having a hard time loading the next round into the chamber. It will eject the unfired round just fine, but loading the next one it is sticking. Any ideas?

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

hard to say, you should not have this much trouble. Can you give more detail or take a video. Would be best if you could do it in such a manner your not using live ammo and shoot yourself on camera or put a slug into the ceiling.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

are you using winchester AA shells?

we experienced that issue with that ammo and 870s in the shotgun class. the ammo worked fine in other people's 870s.

switch ammo (another cheap brand but not Win AA) and try again.