8600GT XXX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Casey, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

I bought a XFX Geforce 8600 GT XXX 256MB a while ago and I've been getting horrible performance. My previous card was the 7300LE and it's performing the same as the 7300LE. I've read reviews saying that the card runs excellent with Steam games and others on high/max settings. But I'm over here running TF2 on low settings and I'm getting 40FPS. I'm thinking about upgrading some of my parts hoping it would fix the performance issues but I don't know what to upgrade first. I have a 305W PSU and the minimum requirement for the 8600GT is 350W. A person said that Dell PSUs are pretty stable and that my PSU should be able to handle the card. Should I upgrade the PSU first, or other parts?

Specs: http://anthony.is.a.damnnigga.net/specs.html

2. Chris

Chris New Member

has the card ever performed up to its capabilities?

If not the PSU would be top on my list for upgrading

3. Casey

Casey New Member

Reading from people's reviews, no. I get much lower than other people. Can you suggest a PSU?

4. Chris

Chris New Member

5. Blizzard

Blizzard needs to robusto

def get a better PS, they are not that expensive.

opt for 450min, 600 is a good

6. Chris

Chris New Member

I think 600 is a bit overkill

Ive only got a Corsair HX520 in my Q6600 machine running 3.0Ghz

7. Casey

Casey New Member

8. Chris

Chris New Member

maybe, maybe not

on an older Dell the answer would be yes because Dell used a proprietary mobo power plug

Im not sure if they have finally come in line with the ATX standard, which if they have then you can buy something from newegg, ect...

But I always tell people PCP&C assures you the product they sell you will fit and work and not burn your house down

9. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Could it be driver issues??? the 7300 was an older card... did he just swap them in and out, or did he use like a Driver Cleaner to take every last trace of the old driver out and then reinstall the newest drivers...

the 7300 was a DX9 card, the 8600 is a DX10... possible that there could be some driver conflicts making driver thinking it ony needs to perform at a certain level?

Happend when I went from a GeForce MX440 to a GeForce 6200 in my older PC. could be doing it here too.

I had to unstall my drivers for my X1300 as well when I installed my HD 3850

but if it is a PSU issue I did purchase the Silencer 470 that PCPOWER has for sale. more then enough power for my HD3850. and my original PSU was only 280W

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Your power supply will not effect the performance of your computer, it will either work or not. Bad or weak power supplies will cause system instability (ie crashes, blue screens) but will not effect frame rate in a game at all.

The thing either has enough power to work or doesn't

11. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

it could... it could be enough power to work at idle, but not at full load

but if that was the case, the computer would shut down from not having enough power... or atleast turn off the power going to the videocard becuase it was draining too much...

I still say drivers...

12. Casey

Casey New Member

I did uninstall the 7300LE drivers and installed the 8600 drivers. But I didn't bother using Driver Cleaner. I guess I could reformat and start clean and see how that goes.

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Which is exactly what I said, remember, when I mentioned crashes and blue screens?