~$800 for an amp and sub(s)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Common, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Common

Common New Member

I'm looking to upgrade my existing system, starting with the trunk. Right now I'm running two Image Dynamic IDQ 10's with a small 2 channel Alpine in a sealed box. I want to upgrade to something that can make my seats vibrate, or make my nose itch, while still being able to play musically. A single sub setup would be nice because it would save space, but I am not opposed to a dual sub setup, but no smaller than 12's. I dont want to box to take up the whole trunk, so something that is optimal in a sealed box is preferable. If the price is right, I may buy from E-Bay, so if something's retail price is out of range, list it anyways, I'll be checking what everything is going for anyways. Thanks in advance for all the help. :wavey:

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, lets say you upgrade to a IDMAX 12". The total displacment over 1 of your current IDQ's is about 120 percent or so. So if you were to put the IDMAX in a smaller sealed box like the IDQ's you currently have, you would probably have 1 or 2 decibel more output. That isnt a whole lot more. However, depending how small your current amplifier is, you might very well get a lot more output with the IDMAX if you feed it 1000 watts or so.

How much power does your current amp put out?

3. Common

Common New Member

I'm not exactly sure, I dont think it could be giving them more than 100 watts each :hs:

4. Desolate

Desolate Kinda drifting in the abstract in terms of how I s

I'm planning on buying just one sub and a box. Any idea of a good sub for around $250 and where to buy it? What size box should i get as well.

oh yeah and common, you should look into getting a jbl 1200.1, thats what ill be getting.

5. Common

Common New Member

I've got a few amps in mind, and thats one of them. :bigthumb: I'm more anxious to chose my sub setup so that I can by the right amp for everything.

6. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

I would also second the IDMAX suggestion. I'll also throw out another idea:

Ikesound.com JBL 1200.1
    http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/122
    $259

(2)Crystal CMP 12
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/CRYCMP12
    $560

Total 819 + shipping

The Crystal CMP 12 is a great speaker and is made for a small enclosure. Recommended sealed is 1.0 - 1.15 cubic feet. It will get plenty loud and still sound great. Either way you can't go wrong with the ID or the Crystal. You also can probably find the crystals for cheaper if you look on the net.

7. 04

04 Guest

If your current amplifier puts out a very low amount of power (like 150 watts) an upgrade to a new 600+ watt amplifier would be quite a bit louder. You could go that route first and see if that helps.

Also you could build a new, larger ported enclosure, that will also give you quite a bit more output.

8. Common

Common New Member

The subs I currently have are single 4 ohm voice coils. Would it be possible to buy an amp, something like the JBL 1200.1 and wire it at 600w so that each woofer was getting ~300w, or do the ohm loads not match?

9. 04

04 Guest

No, you would get the full 1200 watts with each speaker wired in parallel with each other, but that isnt a problem if you are carefull with the volume control.

10. Common

Common New Member

I don't think I'd be comfortable sending 650 watts to subwoofers that have an RMS rating of 250w unless I was absolutely sure that the gains were set right.