80 Gigs of Music....gone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xuntilthexendx, Feb 19, 2009.

1. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

Okay so heres the deal.

I have an internal drive 200GB had all of my music at least 80GB software, movies..basically all of my media. Had it as a slave in my older machine was working fine less than a month ago. Just did a new build, the mobo that I ended up getting only had one IDE connector so I could only have 1 HD and 1 CD drive. I got a 500GB external that I planned on using to dump all of my media onto from that drive.

I connected the HD as a slave on my new system (jumper settings still the same because it was a slave on the last system) and it is not recognized in the bios at all. Tried different jumper settings. Nothing. Tried different IDE cable. Nothing.Tried a different machine alltogether. Nothing. The disk is not spinning up or anything it was working fine less than a month ago. It was taken out of the old system and put into a anti static bag and now wont even spin up at all.

So last night I took it to a co-workers house cause he wanted to see for himself. The weird thing was that when he connected his drive to an older machine detected his two hd's and his cd room but would not boot into windows..It's almost like the drive is shorting out the IDE cable? Does that happen? I tend to look at software over hardware so I'm still learning.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? before I take it to geek squad or something and pay out the ass for them to tell me they can't do anything or something like that. I don't want to lose all of my music. Took a long time to get it where it is today.

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I don't know if I'm right but if the drive is jumped as a slave you need to have it on the slave connector on the ide cable. Also you might want to take the jumper off and boot the computer into bios and see if bios recognizes the drive. Or put it on the DVD drive connector on the MB. If it does recognize your good. Maybe someone here knows a setting in the computer management screen that will 'recognize' a drive without reformatting it.

In any case if bios recognizes the drive you can always use an external enclosure and take your info off through USB but that's last resort.

3. xuntilthexendx

I tried different connectors on the cable as well as the slave. How does using an external enclosure work? I have never looked into it or anything? Do you have to buy just the enclosure? or will any enclosure work?

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

An external enclosure adapts the IDE to usb so you connect the drive via USB. First you need to see if the Bios is recognizing the drive. Throw the drive in. Hit F8 to get into bios (or whatever you key is.. might be Del) and see if the drive is being recognized by the bios. If not then you might have a problem.

5. xuntilthexendx

The bios is not recognizing the drive at all..

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it's dead
    try CPR
    try Jesus

7. xuntilthexendx

Tried CPR..didn't work..

Tried Jesus..didn't care..

8. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Have you tried booting with just that HD?...with the jumper in the correct spot?

Not calling you dumb or anything, just trying suggestions.

9. xuntilthexendx

haha no I understand. The drive is just a media drive..has no OS..the slave setting for the drive is no jumper..and yes I have tried all the jumper settings and still nothing.

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've seen bad drives do that ... sounds dead to me.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure you don't have one of the two drives set to Cable Select mode. Either both of them have to use CS mode, or both of them have to not use it.

12. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

The cable has to support cable select.