WEB 8 Reasons I HATE Magento v. long rant

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noon, May 9, 2008.

1. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

The company we are working with sells ~50 products and decided to go with Magento for their cart software. I liked the API, but that was before I realized how much Magento SUCKS for developers. I also had to implement a Linkshare product feed (basically a cron category/product import, 200 categories & 13,000 products). Well Magento really, really sucks for this.

1. ZERO docs/support for Win2k3.(the community is actually not bad.. but still nothing).
    2. SSL is not required to run the Magento shop, but it IS required to install it. WTF
    3. HUGE AND ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH. 5,500+ files. 145+ tables. there is no simple tweak or sql query to fix or check ANYTHING
    4. There is no way to batch import categories.
    5. When a product is imported, you must know it's primary category ID. (feeds supply category names only)
    6. EXTREMELY SLOW IMPORT. It took 35 minutes to import 13,000 text-only products.
    7. No external image linking. All product images must be in a local directory. Obviously this would be impossible with 13,000 x 3 product images.
    8. DESIGN/THEMES ARE RETARDED. Every page is divided into ~20 XML controller files, ~100 classes, and ~20 content files. Changing anything is like lengthy brain surgery. I cannot stress enough how much this sucks.

I tweaked tons of files to get everything to work on W2k3 without SSL. I wrote a custom class to pull all of the feed's categories, check for existence / create the category and assign a category ID. I wrote a custom class to import all 13,000 products (the largest number of products you can import with Magento's import is around ~2,000). I modified even more files so that external image linking would work. And what do I get? OVER TWO MINUTE LOAD TIMES for first-instance (non cached) searches. Fucking ridiculous. Magento relies on so many BADLY-INDEXED, "LIKE" STUFFED, JOINED-TABLE QUERIES that is it unusable. Oh, and don't even think about improving the queries, because they are fucking BURIED in classes of classes which are variables of classes which are implemented by each category,product,attribute or image class.

If you need help with something Magento-related be sure to message me, I feel like I should be working for Varien at this point..

cliffs: Magento sucks
    Magento home - http://www.magentocommerce.com/
    Linkshare home - http://linkshare.com/

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Really? I presented a this product to a client of mine who wants to run a store. I may not be using it now. Which commerce software would you recommend then?

3. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Dang, thanks for the writeup. I might have considered Magento if they ever added digital products, but now I know there's no way I'll ever install it based on your review.

kingtoad, Zen Cart is the most popular open source option right now. It's not as bad as Megento, and there's a book for it. Like, dead trees.

4. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

In for a good free cart solution. Will be needing one soon for a tshirt business of a friend.

5. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BB 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I'll check it out when I get back, but I have already tweaked all of the mysql settings according to recommendations from magento. Most of them are query caching tweaks though which does not help me at all due to everything being updated daily.

Don't get me wrong. For the client, magento rocks. Its for the developer doing any type of customizing that it SUCKS

6. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

how easy is magento to setup for the standard store? im currently using zencart and the install was straight forward, but megento looks to be a better looking ecommerce app. any zencart vs magento opinions?

7. herzog

herzog unedukated rednek

I've setup 2 magento stores for clients so far. There are some frustrations about it, but it is very new and somewhat expected for what it is. That said, I like it more than any other open source store I've used.

I can see what you are saying from a developer standpoint. From a designer standpoint the store extremely customizable. If you are expecting to run a giant store, you should also expect to spend some money developing a custom solution to fit your needs. Magento as well as other freebies out there are more for a generalized type of e-commerce.

8. herzog

herzog unedukated rednek

and SSL for install is not required... never had to use it in any of the several test and production installs that I've done.

9. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

I just installed it for a friend and it's slooooowwwww. I'm thinking of deleting it and installing something else. Any other good SEO shopping carts?

10. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

It's got a fancy UI which has everyone ranting and raving over it. I played with it a little. I'm not familiar at all with the zend framework it's written on, and all my servers are Windows/IIS, so I didn't even bother.

11. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

From what I have seen, Most of the client side is cut and paste.

That is better for people like me with limited skills.

I have a linkshare account. send me a link if I can make money on it.