8 guage wire enough for my setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neo22, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I'm running a alpine 9833 and am planning on adding a single jl 10w3 along with an mtx thunder 421d(around [email protected]). Making sure wire will be enough. Its going to be in an 05 dodge ram single cam. Any suggestions or other suggestions on an amp?

2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i would go with a 4 gauge power wire if your going to split the power into both of those amps. check to see if both of your amps are compatiable with 4awg though. if no, i say run 4awg from battery to amps with a distrubution block that goes from 4awg in - 8awg out.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If you are just running that 300W amp then 8awg should be fine, especially in the short run of a truck. However, if you plan on adding more amplifiers in the future, 4awg would be a smart choice.

4. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I'll just be running that one amp. The inside speakers are going to be run off headunit power.

5. 04

04 Guest

6. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

In my new xB, I'm going to be running the Alpine 9833 as well, but I'm going to run dedicated power to it, as recommended by Alpine.

For the rear, I'm running 2 Sony amps (IBsonysucks)... 600w monoblock and a 300w 4 channel. I was considering 2/0, until I realized that is WELL BEYOND overkill for what I'm running. I'm instead going with a 2gauge from the battery, through the fuse holder, to the distribution block in the back. From there, I'll probably go with 4ga to the amps. Still overkill I think, but the price difference isn't enough to consider going smaller in case I ever change my setup and would need larger wire then.

8. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, 8awg should be ok for that amplifier (though it couldnt hurt to use thicker cable :big grin: )

9. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

I would go to 4. Your wire can never be to big. Also this will leave room for expansion

10. zysus

zysus New Member

I hate to point out the obvious here... but... here's how you do this:
    All the gear coming off the power source (IE Battery/Alt) should have
    a manufacturer's specified current draw either on the device or in the manual.
    This, of course, will vary with the load on the device, but the max should be specified
    anyway.
    Take all the maxes and total them up. IE if each amp draws 30 amps, you have 2 amps, that's 30 + 30 = 60 amps. (Google for Kirchoff's Current Law for more info)
    Use a wire rated for AT LEAST that current. As stated above leave room for expansion
    cause running wire in a car is a pain.
    Also, wire is current rated not only by size, but by insulation temperature as well.
    www.belden.com has information.
    Each leg off the main distro needs to be rated for appropriate draw as well.

Rules of thumb follow:
    100amp, 4 awg
    60amp, 6 awg
    40amp, 8 awg
    30amp, 10 awg
    (I wouldn't bother to run anything smaller than 10awg....)

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

get 2 gauge Monster audio cable, and what you do is get a double the amount u need, because obviously the more cable you get the more your sound will be amplified, if your running too much bass on a small cable, the bass will shake the loose the wiring insulation

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

4awg will be enough for that setup and fyi 2awg is not too common in car audio and usually ends up being more expensive than 1/0 awg.