A&P 7D or 5D?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jan 13, 2010.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Hi guys,

Currently I have a 40D, I want to shoot video (got contact to shoot a music video recently :wiggle:). I'm undecided between a 7d and the 5d. The reason is cost vs. quality.

If I go for FF, I'll only be able to use a 100mm macro, 70-200mm f4L, 50mm 1.8. If I stick with a crop sensor I'll be able to use the tamron 17-50mm and 10-22mm with the others.

So basically, I'll have no short focal lengths for the 5D, which makes me think I'll need something to cover the tamron's range (17-50mm). I was looking at the 17-40mm f4L to replace it.

This all adds up to a huge price increase (which means I'm gonna be poor for the forseeable future). Here's some of my pros and cons for a 5D purchase:

5D pros:
    Better image quality
    Better vid quality (but I'm not 100% sure, heard about firmware upgrades to fix some of the 5D issues, advice on this?)
    No need to upgrade for years to come
    The video project would/should pay for the camera + lens
    It's a fucking 5D!!

5D cons:
    Price
    Need to buy EF lenses
    I've been stuck in a rut lately and I'd be pissed if I dropped a lot of cash on something that I won't appreciate/use enough.
    I'm still very much an amateur photographer.

The big thing for me is that if I get the 7D, it's price will drop, resale value will go down and I'll end up spending more in the long run. I don't want to sell the 40D. What would you do if you were in my position?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Poor, poor judgement here. Do some more research, champ.

7D Pros:
    Ergo = 7D
    Speed = 7D
    Video functionality = 7D
    Wireless E-TTL Flash = 7D
    Image "quality" 5D~7D
    Focusing = 7D
    Live view functionality = 7D
    Price:features = 7D

Full Frame= 5D
    Slightly better high-iso handling = 5D

Honestly, the 5D2 is a fucking great camera that is well worth the money, no denying it. I think too many people are thinking that the great work coming from 5D owners is the camera. It's not. It just so happens that a lot of 5D2 owners are great fucking photographers who are more likely to buy L primes.

It's your call, man. But, I gotta tell ya: nearly all of my friends with 5D2s wish they had 7Ds instead because, for most people, the long list of features in the 7D far outweigh the full frame sensor of the 5D.

/$.02

3. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

I have a 5d2 and I love it. The only thing that really bugs me about the 5d2 is the AF. I wish they had put a better focusing system in it, but I only have issues in low light, and most the time its not that big of a deal. I fucking look f00l frame though.

4. tun

tun Active Member

wait for the 60D that is rumored to be announced on February 9th

i'd also suggest the 7D if full frame is not an important factor.

5. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

I'll disagree with Issac's post on a few points...

1. If you're a "pixel peeper" that likes to look at images at 200+ % in PS all day long, then yes... the 5dmk2 has focus issues:rolleyes:.. any camera will and you're not a real photog. Otherwise, at 21mp its razor sharp, even better with Nikor or Zeiss converted lenses and pretty much amazing..

2. No Canon lens (not even the L's) were designed for video.. so if you want to shoot that, expect soft corners and edges on most like the 17-40, 24-105, etc,etc,etc,etc... GET A PRIME !! P.S. anything worth their salt is filmed on primes.. look at Panny's, RED, Thompson's, Sony's site, etc,etc..

3. ISO... ummm, this is known where the 7d gets noisy at around 1200... the 5dmk2 at 1600, and the new 1dmk4 has been shown to get around 2400...

The sweet spots for the 5dmk2 are the way it generates ISO ranges (as does any digital camera system)...
    160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, 5000 are the known core ISO operating units for the camera...

If you really want to get in deep with this thing, go to either Cinema5d.com or DVXuser.com..

both are excellent forums for these 2 units... I have the 5dmk2... but if you are looking for more of a future movie rig... the 5d is the way to go..

Next FW upgrade is going to have 720p, variable frame rate and bit rate :bowdown:

otherwise.. go with the 7d... but there's no focus issues :rolleyes:

4. No other camera is going to shoot this at night at ISO 6400 with little to almost no noise in this size of package on a RC helicopter !! :bowdown:
    http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8000&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

5. and a cinema style rig built for under $300 :bowdown:
    http://www.vimeo.com/6958033

6. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

The 7D is awesome, I'm really tempted to jump ship to canon. I don't want to go full frame, and the D300s was a lackluster upgrade.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Depends on what you shoot. If you want to do lots of portrait, full frame would be better (because of the DOF). If you're shooting lots of sports/concerts then the AF on the 7D would be better.

8. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Only slightly?

9. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

it's way better

10. isaac86hatch

I have seen a lot of similar shots. The 5D is better by about 2/3rds of a stop. I would consider that slightly. I'm not a pixel peeper nor am I posting 100% versions of my photos online, so I guess the difference to me is marginal.

11. isaac86hatch

Maybe if you're one of the people who declared the 7D a failure compared to 5D before ANY software was officially available for 7D RAW files. Too many people jumped on the pixel-peeper benchmark bandwagon using Alpha software for the 5D and beta software for the 7D. Fail. With the new ACR 5.6, the files are miles better than they were even a month ago. That said, I would declare every noise test for the 7d that is pre-ACR 5.6 flawed. The 5D2 is better, of course, but not way better. I think you should look at more real-world shots from "normal" shooters.

12. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The 5DII would be so good if they didn't put such a crippled focusing system in it.

Go with a 7D unless DoF control is of upmost importance to you.

13. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

That's one of the reasons I'm really hesitant about the 5D, I'm just an amateur that loves photography. I don't expect that a camera will further any of my abilities. Before this video oppurtunity came about, I was expecting that maybe in 5 years I'd upgrade the 40D, it's suits me fine for the foreseeable future for photography.

Never used FF, but I find that most of my lenses have too much reach which makes me think I'd really appreciate it.

I'll keep an eye on it, price will be a big thing here. Rumours suggest that it will be a 7D without some of the features.

Thanks for all the links, looking through them now. Future-proofing is something that I've always tried to stick with, however, as I mentioned, for photographic needs, the 5D seems to be an unnecessary upgrade at the moment.

(nearly) everyone is recommending the 7D, I'm leaning more and more towards it. 5 people for the 7D, 1 for the 5D. Thanks for all your advice guys, I appreciate it :bigthumb:

14. isaac86hatch

Honestly, I would not look at it in terms of numbers. They are both great cameras with different purposes. You just need to decide your purpose.

15. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

If you are going to do Pro-work I suggest getting 5D2, if not 7D.

And nazis, this does not mean 7D cannot take professional pictures. :hsugh:

16. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

What kind of shooting do you do? I'm a sports guy that shoots as a side business (read: no 1dIV budget), and I find the 7D to be awesome. I shot the 20d for about 3 years beforehand and the 7d's AF system is significantly better. The new AWB is way more accurate too, I have yet to modify WB in the ~2k shots i've taken since getting the camera.

That said, if you do more single shot photography (landscapes, portraits, etc etc) then spring for the 5dII, my father-in-law has one and the photos are awesome. 14mm f/2.8L II FTW