78-81 Ta?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chad2261, May 4, 2004.

1. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

Or Camaro of the same year...I've been trying to find a car to restore for a little while and this is what the redneck side of me has settled on so far. I know it's no late 60's musclecar but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper. It seems like a pretty common car and most of the ones I've seen range from $3-6k and are in excellent working condition, generally needing just interior and paint work.

Now my questions: what are some good and bad things I should look for with this model/year? A good friend of mine does this kind of stuff from time to time and has a nice garage with a lift so all the work would be done there by him and me. To just restore the interior somewhat, give it some paint and keep the thing running, how much $$ you think I'm in for? Power/drivetrain modifications would come later so I'd just like to get it looking somewhat presentable as I'm sure it'd be plenty of fun to drive stock for a while...

what do you guys think?

ibHickRedneck

2. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Unfortunately I can't really answer your questions, but I can say if it feasible, do it!

You almost *never* see built late 70's F-Bodies, everyone either opts for the more expensive 67-69's, or new tech.

There's *one* late 70's Camaro in my area. Primered gray, *fat* tires in the back (I'm going to guess a mini-tub), skinnies up front, loud rumbling exhaust, It's just a mean looking vehicle.

3. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate all the help I can get. It'll be a while before I'm ready to buy but it's never too early to learn what to look for and start gathering funds.

4. dednyori's

dednyori's Brunettes FTMFW!

5. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

:bigthumb: nice car, looks mean as hell.

6. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

Hey, I just bought a '78 T/A to restore LAST WEEK for $3500! A W72 400, 4-speed! If I were you I would stick to the '77-'79 T/A's with the Pontiac 400 motor. Those Pontiac 400 motors are torque monsters, you don't need to do too much to them to have them running like the late-great 60's muscle cars. The '80-'81 T/A's are all dogs in stock form, '79 was the last REAL muscle car IMO. Check out this site for some really good info on T/A's http://www.iwaynet.net/~gl&lisk/home.html

Chad

7. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

wow, good call on that site! Pretty much everything anyone would ever want to know about those cars :bigthumb:

What kid of condition did you find yours in? From the research I've been doing lately $3500 usually seems to get you one in pretty decent condition. Did you luck out and find it locally or did you have to find it online?

a question though...what is a quick way to tell the difference between the 220hp W72 6.6 400 and the 180hp L78 400 assuming some of these cars may not have the original shaker with the 6.6 lettering?

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  8. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

You can get a seriously badass one for $6-$7,

Just sold my 71 Camaro for $8000,
    You can check it out here
    http://www.southwestdeltachi.com/SERIALPIMP.html?1008910329492/
    The 71 had a GM crate Engine, White leather seats from a 97 Camaro, White paint with black stripes and a cowl hood, Electric fuel pump, and was in good working order.

My 79 with everything it has would only sell for about $5500 or so, It has badass paint, a 383 with Dart Heads, NOS Cheater kit, 12-bolt with 4.33 gears, spool, axles, SSM Lift Bars, complete suspension, Harwood Cowl Hood, Weld Wheels, Griffin Radiator, Spal Fans, and a bunch of other stuff.

There are a ton of 78-81's our there, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. Just shop around, and don't be impulsive and buy just anyone,

Good Luck, Hope it all works out, PM if I can help out by answering any questions, I know my stuff when it comes to 2nd gens

9. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

The car I got is in "decent" condition, I mean it runs good, is inspected, no rust holes, but it definately needs a restoration to be anywhere near show quality. It needs a new interior and paint job badly, but it's a good starting point. The big plus for me is that it's a factory black car, I just love those black T/A's! :bowdown: I ended up finding the car locally on a backroad, owned by a lady for the previous 16 years.

As far as the W72 goes, the definitve way to tell is to look for a WC stamped on the block. It is stamped on the front of the block, on the left side. It can be a little tricky to see, but this is the best way! Also, I THINK the W72 cars had different heads on them too, my heads have a 6X stamped on the sides, I believe the L78 cars have 4X on the heads.

If your set on '77-79 T/A I would highly suggest digging until you find a W72 car. They only made 4,112 4-speed W72 cars, a car like that is going to do nothing but increase in value! Just don't settle for one with Olds 403 engine, they're were WAY more produced, and much less desirable! Good luck!

Chad

10. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

definately sounds like the W72 6.6 is going to be the way to go.

I'm more concerned with function over form for right now so I'd probably start with the engine before I mess with paint and interior. since the initial cost of the car will probably be about all I can afford immediately, I'll be 'ballin on a budget' for a little while. that in mind and assuming I find the W72/4-speed, what would you reccommend for my first few mods? is the stock airflow naturally restrictive? would something small like exhaust or headers make much difference with these cars? I'll definately need to keep it small at first...

11. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

Everything on the car will be vacuum actuated and you will not like working on that mess,
    If you don't care about leaving it all factory, I would recomend an low rise, dual plane aluminum intake, valve covers, headers & Exhaust and some wheels first.

Most of the interior stuff is easy to come by, just check out Year One and Classic Industries.