GUN $769 shipped good deal on an ACOG?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 8, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From my google search seems like good price on the model, ACOG 4x32 TA01NSN should I order one? :dunno:

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Not sure on the price. But, I'm curious about something. How does one decide which ACOG they want? I mean, 3, 3.5, 4x magnification. Do they list recommended ranges for each magnification or is it mostly preference?

How about other options? There's so much to choose from.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not the person to ask, I don't know a whole lot about them, or much about optics at all really other then some combloc stuff :o I guess this particular model is suppose to be optimized for 62gr out of 16" barrel's, I'm assuming it can adjusted to work with other things though. I hope since I don't currently have any AR uppers, I'd be putting it on the m14 or a 5.45 AK.

4. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

You want one with BAC, like the TA31's.

5. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

?

6. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Plus, several Trijicon ACOG models offer Trijicon's exclusive Bindon Aiming Concept™ (BAC), an innovative both-eyes-open aiming method along with scope magnification that allows for quicker target acquisition - a huge aiming advantage with fast moving targets during stressful, low-light scenarios

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I've been thinking of getting an ACOG lately. That sounds like a good price unless JPC can get us one for less. If he gets any of those $350 512's back in stock, I might get that as well.

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

You guys need to talk to Chakup and get one through his group buy. I'm getting the TA31RCO-M4CP. It's a bit more expensive then some of the rest, but I like the design of the cross hair as well as the other stupid stuff it comes with like the KillFlash and other useless stuff.

I just narrowed it down by what I liked and didn't. I wanted red over amber illumination. I didn't want one with the Dr. Optic thing on it. And they have some designed for 14.5/16 and some for 20 so that helped. The RCO ones are the ones designed for the USMC and Army...figured you can't go wrong with that.

Again, Chaz (Chakup) hooked it up. Talk to him!

9. chakup

chakup Guest

I try. There are a few sights that advertise the ACOG's for pennies over cost. 1) they aren't following MAP which means they really don't care in the first place which tells me a) shady or b) scam. If they come through on a deal- great. Just be careful.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

or talk to JPC, though I haven't seen him on in awhile...

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This one is a weekend only special put on by one of the arfcom sponsors his regular price is $969 on this one. From what people are telling me its not the best one if I want to put it on my m14 or ak though. :hs:

12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

are you a leo? military personel?

13. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I want one really bad too.

I've never used one though. Are they really that good?

I wouldn't mind taking one with me if I get deployed.

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

They're amazing. I picked up an ACOG back to back to back with an EOtech and an Aimpoint and I loved it. They obviously serve a little different purpose, but I think it fits it great.

Lifetime warranty so they won't break and if you do manage to break one you're fine. The 4x zoom isn't too much IMO for most closer stuff, but if you're worried about real close stuff you can get the Dr. Optic on them (it's a mini red dot system that mounts on top)

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The one you're talking about doesn't have the dual illumination source for one, which is a plus for day and night shooting. It also doesn't have the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) someone mentioned for two eye opened shooting. That's one of the biggest issues IMO.

16. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I'm looking at the 4x one.

I have a bushnell holopoint right now, which I guess is the same as the eotech?

Anyways, it does the job for me. But like I said, I want the best sight for if I get deployed.

So what advantages does the ACOG have that makes it so good?

Sorry, I just don't know jack about ACOGs. :hsd:

17. Painkiller

no batteries, the fiber optic illumination is REALLY bright, they are tough.

18. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Cross posted from ar15.com. It's a stickied post there. For myself, I like the idea of being able to a) identify and b) increase hit probability beyond what a 1x would be able to. I know people can shoot the 1x out to point blank distance, but beyond 50 yards I'd say the ACOG starts paying itself off real well. Anyhow, here is this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

With optics ubiquitous on fighting rifles, the old rule that long barrels - with their longer sight radius - are needed for accuracy and longer-range capability is turned on its head. It's possible to get one-moa mechanical accuracy from 18, 16, 14.5, 12.5, and even 10.5-inch barrels, perhaps at a higher cost. Thus, with even short-barreled CQB uppers able to provide pinpoint accuracy to the limit of the 5.56 cartridge's capability- the role differentiation is determined by what optic is mounted on the rail. Put another way- carbine capability is determined by its sights.

I break down optics in basically three types for fighting carbines: Type I, Type II, and Type III. Type I is basically CQB. Type II is basically DMR. Type III is SPR.

Type I: 1x or non-magnified red-dot optics, optimized for close-range engagements and effective to the carbine's point-blank range (250-300 yards for a M4/M16 with a 50-yard zero). Type I optics are heads-up, not sensitive to eye position, most are parallax-free. The most common Type I fighting optics are the Aimpoint M2-M4 and the EOTech. No magnification and heads-up binocular sighting provides the fastest sight-picture acquisition and the easiest to maintain while on the move. They are also the easiest to use from weird shoot positions. The downfall of the Type I optic is no magnification which hampers target ID (threat / no-threat). Iron sights still have a place due to bomb-proof mechanical simplicity, and fit in as a Type I sight.

Type II: low-power magnified optics with reticle features for bullet-drop compensation when engaging targets outside of the cartridge's point-blank range. External and non-capped target knobs/turrets should be avoided to ensure the zero is not lost when the knobs get bumped, hit, or rub on other gear. Type II optics are designed for quickly engaging targets from about 75 yards out to about 400 yards. Many Type II optics are fixed magnification at 3.5x or 4x, however, several variable power 1 - 4x scopes are also in use. The most common is the Trijicon ACOG: 4x (TA31, TA01) or 3.5x (TA11). The US Military realizes many of these needs in the Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) and Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDM-R).

Type III- the SPR scope. This type of optic has the capability to take the 5.56 cartridge to its ballistic limit and to engage small targets at extended distances. The 18-inch Mk12 Mod 1 SPR uses the Leupold 3-9x36mm M/RT, which was the first scope specifically designed for this role on the M4/M16 platform. The 5.56 cartridge is ballistically limited to 600 - 800 yards at sea level, so the Type III optic needs to be able to engage small targets at this distance. 5.56 has very little energy at this distance, however, 77-grain Mk262 has been used to make kills a over 600 yards. Besides long-range, the Type III optic has the ability to engage very small targets at intermediate ranges, which is a downfall of the Type II optic. When shooting at adversaries who are partially behind cover or wearing armor, being able to place a head-shot several hundred yards away can be key.

In conclusion- think carefully about your mission and likely engagement requirements, and then pick the type of optic that solves those problems best. The Type I one-power red dot sight is the right choice for the vast majority of fighting with a carbine. The Type II is more specialized yet brings some useful capabilities to the table, whereas the Type III is really a very specialized application. Whatever you choose for your mission- get one of the solid battle-proven optics mentioned here. There's a lot of junk out there that will let you down sooner or later.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nope.

20. Painkiller

This will help you. :o
    [​IMG]

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i got my TA33 for just under 700 shipped :dunno:

22. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I'm not a big expert either, but I know some are specifically designed for either a 16 or 20 inch barrel AR

23. TCSFunk

TCSFunk OT Supporter

You probaly want to go with a TA31, TA11 or TA33.

TA11 gives the most eye relief 2.5" if you need that much. I have a TA31F on my ar-15 and works great.

24. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Yup if you're going to waste your money on an ACOG get the BAC system

25. Painkiller

waste is subjective to whoever is buying it.