7600GS to 50" Samsung (HDMI? DVI?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eta873, Nov 17, 2006.

1. eta873

eta873 New Member

I'm 5 seconds away from buying this:
    [​IMG]

My only concern is figuring out how I'm going to connect that to this:
    [​IMG]

It's a Bose Lifestyle 48 system and a 50" Samsung plasma. I want to buy some sort of cable to connect my PC to my system to watch movies/dvds etc. My PC setup is about 50 feet away from my tv setup.

I read about DVI to HDMI, but I don't see any HDMI ports on either the Lifestyle 48 or the Samsung.

Recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    -eta378

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Your best bet "should" be the most direct connection.

I don't know what kind of cables are available, but something that takes the signal from the pc directly to the Samsung will be the way to go.

If you really need a fast answer on what cable to use, post this in off topic.

There's several professional installers and the like, that are on at night.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

The samsung should have dvi, so you should be able to go dvi to dvi, but a 50foot dvi cable will be a fortune, if they even make one that long. I'd be concerned about signal loss at that distance.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Link for a 50' DVI to HDMI if your tv doesnt have DVI input.
    http://www.firefold.com/category.aspx?categoryID=58

Here is just a DVI cable well nevermind they dont have anything longer than 15 meters. That site is probably about the cheapest you will find for cables. I have bought 2 HDMI cables from them and never had any problems. Might want to call and ask a professional though if your going to loose and signal 50' is quite a ways.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Just did a quick search on ebay and there are some 50' DVI cables for under $70 Id say that is probably your best bet.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

I had a problem with resolution on my 32" samsung lcd when using a DVI cable I could only got to 640x480 which is pretty useless. I have been just using a VGA cable from the PC to the TV now which I can do 1024x768 on. Can certain video cards only do certain resolutions out the DVI port? My card is pretty old but it has a VGA and DVI output. I'm no pro on this stuff but that was my experience. Maybe get a couple short cables from best buy and move the computer near the tv and see how they each look before committing on a particular one.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Also if that room has a basement below it, it you could shorten the distance by quite a bit by running cable under the floor.

That's assuming the room isn't actually near 50" long. :noes: