$750 Home Built Development System

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So... my HP notebook was jacked in a tunnel on the train to Rishikesh. I have begged for some money from some people and now have a $750 budget to replace it. I am WAY out of the hardware scene, as my other notebook is a Mac and this one was borrowed actually...

So, I have $750 and I need either a notebook, or a PC with monitor. Uses: Eclipse application development. That means I have to run two copies of eclipse at once, which means a gig of ram. I need a CD-R for backups. Inegrated ethernet... and integrated RAID 1 capability would be great. So that would mean two drives if its a desktop... cheap ones, probably.

I recall Assuser telling me about some $150 boards with integrated chips and you just add memory and plug in and go. I need one of them. Oh, and I'll be buying this shit in Bangalore... but prices and availability are approximately comparable to the US.

I don't care whether its a notebook or a PC. Suggestions appreciated. Yes, I'll RTFM at Tomshardware when I get to a decent net connection. I was just hoping some of you might have recently bought a similar system. I don't know what $750 gets you nowadays, monitor included...

2. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

Sorry I can't help but is that you in your AV?

WTF you doing in Banglore?

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

what about getting a mac Mini and a monitor. that should be under your budget.