GUN $750 for a brand new Sig P229R DAK?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I've been looking for either a Glock 19 or a Sig P229R DAK from a private seller for a while now (can't buy from an FFL in Florida due to being over 18 but under 21, private sales are OKAY though). Well I found someone local who is selling a BRAND NEW Sig P229R DAK, still got the original manufacturing grease on it and everything.

He said he bought it on impulse thinking it would make a great carry weapon, but before ever even shooting it or anything he said he decided to stick with his 1911 instead, so now he's trying to sell it for what he paid.

He is selling it for $750 and he will not budge on the price at all. Yes - it IS cheaper from local gun shops ($700), however after tax which is about $50 and then the $5 background check fee, it's basically the same price as what this local guy is trying to sell it for.

Is $750 for a brand new Sig P229R DAK a good deal? It is what i've been looking for and it's not everyday someone is selling one that's brand new, infact I haven't even been able to find a used one.

If I buy this, it'll be my carry weapon when I get my CWL.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you like it get it.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

get it down 50 bucks. Does It have nightsites? don't buy it without them.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Nope, doesn't have nightsights... but it's the "R" version with a rail, so i'd get a Surefire to mount on there or something instead.

He won't go down in price at all, I tried negotiating with him but he was very firm about it.

5. Painkiller

too high then. I paid 749 for my 226R with NS.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

Did you have to pay any extra FFL fee's or tax or anything though?

7. Painkiller

tax, however you pay tax on everything. :dunno: :o

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Also, forgot to mention... it's in .357SIG.

Are there any advantages to .357SIG over good 9mm ammo? I've looked online and .357SIG is quite expensive.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Give this guy a call and what kind of pricing he can give you http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

I'd buy it from the gunshop before I bought it from him if it will cost the same. Sorry once you take it out of the door the value goes down. He can lose $50 on his impulse buy, or he can keep it, $750 handguns are a bit harder to move than $400 ones.

Now since you aren't 21 you won't be able to get it from a dealer, but maybe you have a birthday or graduation coming up and some cool parents who would like to give you a nice gift.

I'd shoot .357 sig before buying one though anyway. Its sig's answer to the energy transfer crowd and alot of people don't care for the way it recoils.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Wow $485 for a factory certified preowned 229 :eek:. I wonder if he has any CPO 229R DAK's, I just sent an email.

I'd prefer 9mm over .357 SIG just because it's cheaper and i've already got thousands of rounds of 9mm. Something about the .357 SIG round just seems attractive though, i've been reading the ARFCOM Sig and ammo forums and it seems most people prefer .357 SIG to .40.

11. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

i would buy an H&K for that price.

but if i really wanted a sig, it would be a CPO from cdnn for like $400

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There are no DAK CPO's, sig converts all DAKs back to tda before they release them I've heard.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Why do people convert it to DAK? It seems like sacrilege to me.

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm starting to like .357 the more I read about it. Even thinking of getting a Glock 33. I like 9mm and it seems the lowest pressure .357SIG loads have similar ballistics to 9mm +p+.

It is expensive to shoot though so I wouldn't suggest it for your first handgun. Get a 9mm and shoot it twice as much as a .40 or .45.

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Any particular reason why Sig is doing that?

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I've already got a Beretta M9 which I shoot a lot and have a lot of 9mm ammo on hand for, the Sig would be my carry weapon when I get my CWL.

Georgia Arms sells .357 SIG ammo that's good for plinking for $180 for a case of 1000 rounds and shipping is $17. This is the cheapest .357 SIG ammo i've been able to find anywhere and Georgia Arms is good stuff. I've been paying about $130+shipping for my Sellier&Bellot 9mm, so I guess an extra $50 for .357 SIG wouldn't kill me.

The other thing I like about the 229 is that if you buy it in .357, you can also buy a .40 barrel for it and use the same mags and everything, and vice versa if you bought the .40 version you can get the .357 barrel for it. Only thing is that the barrels are like $250.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I just called a local range and they have a Sig 229 rental gun, it's a .40 caliber version. Is there much of a difference in feel, recoil, etc. between the .357SIG and .40 versions of the 229?

They've also got a Glock 19 to rent as well, so I think i'll rent that too.

18. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

b/c nobody likes the DAK. as for the .357, it has a lot better ballistics than a 9mm. it's basically a .40 case that's necked down for a 9mm bullet. the recoil is between the 9mm and .40 i believe, but the .357 is LOUD. also the ammo is expensive. personally, i don't see the point to it unless the main purpose of the gun is for self defense, or something along those lines. for any gun i'd be doin some range shooting w/, i'd just go w/ a 9mm or .40. also, his price is unreasonable. pretty stupid that he thinks he could make a mistake by buying it, and not lose any money. search around.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Why doesn't anyone like the DAK? I've heard good things about it and like the ease of it, seems like the DAK is perfect for carrying, similar to the reasons why people love carrying Glocks.

This is going to be my carry gun when I get my CWL and it will also take over the role of being my primary home defense weapon, so if .357SIG is better for these purposes, i've got no problem spending the extra $50 or so per thousand rounds.

I'm also going to rent a Glock 19 tonight, too bad I gotta buy expensive range ammo for the rental guns :wtc:.

20. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

btw, i'm goin to the post office now to ship your grip.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have no idea why sig's converting the dak guns to tda. I'd say that demand is higher for tda for them, but thats just a guess. The glock is very simple, its as close to a double action revolver as you can get, but with a better trigger pull. Alot of people like carrying them, I personally think it makes more sense to have a heavier first shot and lighter following shots. If you have to train a bunch of noobs or people that won't train, then dak or glock action make more sense. If you like dak better than tda though buy it. Its no better or worse for carrying though.

Personally I'm not impressed with .357 sig. the 125gr gold dot does 19.05" and .54" over clothed gel at 1372fps. A 147gr 9mm ranger goes 15.25" and .59" expansion clocking in at 900fps. Sufficient penetration, similar expansion, I think your odds are the same with either and it all comes down to shot placement. If you believe in energy transfer and all that crap it might be a magic round, but otherwise the hole it punches is rather unremarkable and I think you'd be better served by more practice with the cheaper 9mm to improve your chances of accurate placement. Ymmv and all that.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

23. Accord

Accord New Member

He just called me and said he's willing to do $699.

Now my decision is even tougher, ughhhhhh. Glock 19 for $~500 or a new Sig for $699.

24. Furner

Furner New Member

I dont think there are any CPO 229 DAK guns out there, because DAK is pretty new, and CPO guns are pretty not new.

25. Furner

Furner New Member

I dont think there are any CPO 229 DAK guns out there, because DAK is pretty new, and CPO guns are pretty not new.