70s and 80s 911s

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DK, Nov 6, 2005.

1. DK

DK New Member

i am seriously considering buying a 70s or an 80s 911. i have found various cars in magazines and on the web that appear to fit my needs, almost all of them built between 1974 and 1985. (living in europe there are tons of old school porsche 911s around.)

so here is my question: what do you guys know about reliability of these model years?

i know 911s have pretty amazing reliability in general, but would a 20 to 30 year old 911 be suitable as a daily driver?

any known issues i should watch out for?

it is going to be my first "classic" car, so any input would be very much apprechiated. thx in advance.

2. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

80% of older 911s aren't suitable daily drivers. An experienced Porsche mechanic can determine if a car you're interested in is among the 20% that have been properly maintained.

Top Gear did an interesting piece on how much Porsche they could buy for $5000. They bought three cars, and all of them had significant reliability problems.

3. DK

DK New Member

i am planning on spending more than 5k (12-15, maybe 20). and i was gonna have a garage check it out before buying it, obviously.

4. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I have an 86 cabriolet that I've taken a couple of serious (1000 mile +) roadtrips with and had absolutely no problems with. I had it checked out before I bought it and got a clean bill of health and have been pretty anal with the maintenance. Problem areas with that particular year are the DME relay (keep a spare in the glove box, it's a cheap part) and the head sensor (about $250 to get a bulletproof 2nd generation head sensor put on). Oh and the AC will only hold a charge for about a year.

5. DK

DK New Member

thx, mate.

my sis' fiance has an 86 targa and he hasn't had any problems with it, either.
    what did you pay for yours?

no bad experiences anyone? :big grin:

6. MikeYOX

MikeYOX May 2000 account: DELETED :(

My brother has a 74, a 78, and an 85. He anally maintains all three of them, he drives the 85 every single day, and no problems to be spoken of. He's taken the 85 and the 75 across the country many times and has had no complaints.

7. DK

DK New Member

that is so good to hear, cause obviously, this prolly becoming my first classic reliability and repair cost is my main concern.

8. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I paid low 20s for my cab with 38,000 miles

9. MikeYOX

MikeYOX May 2000 account: DELETED :(

Repair costs, on the other hand are $$$$$$$$$$. A clutch job alone is quite an expensive trick. My brother, like myself, is very well versed in mechanics, so he pays little more than the cost of parts most of the time, but expect that a problem arising with a Porsche will result in quite an expenditure.

But, he has never had to do much on any of his cars, aside from basic maintinence, because he keeps them in excellent shape. He even replaced all of the AC system seals to stop the infamous leaking. 4 years on each car without needing to be recharged. :bigthumb:

10. DK

DK New Member

well, the particular car i got in mind at this point is a black 1980 carrera 3.0 (188bhp) with 90.000 km at around 18k. its got everything including electronic seats, but no AC. living in central europe and being relatively young i dont really need an AC, so i think ill be fine with that particular car. i dont really aim for a cab cause convertibles as well as targas tend to be a bit pricier over here.

as for the repairs: the dad of this guy i know owns our city's largest independent porsche/ferrari/ruf dealership, so i think i won't have to pay porsche hours. as for the parts: my mom currently has a porsche (and i dont see her ever goin to another brand...) and my dad had a 914 at uni, so i am well aware of parts prices.

as i said before: i am not worried about the odd replacement/maintenance cost, but rather about reliability in general.