700Mhz to 1.3 GHz help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Mar 25, 2003.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I'm having a bit of trouble upgrading my AMD Duron sys from a 700 to a 1.3. Here is my system specs

http://support.buympc.com/apps/complist.asp?SerialNo=2553097-0001

Although changes Ive made since I bought the computer, 320 megs of ram instead of 128, SB Audigy, disabled onboard sound, Voodoo 32 meg video card, took out the 150 watt power supply replaced it with a 300 watt power supply. Exchanged the modem for a HCF Rockwell, anyway thats the bulk of it.

I purchased a 1.3 Duron Chip last week for about 50 bucks brand new from the computer store, applied some new thermel paste, rebooted the system, when it gets into Windows XP it'll freeze up, so I have to power down to reboot it, it wants to scan disk both my harddrives, then once back in windows xp it freezes again. Ive tried reinstall Windows XP or installing Win2k, it will copy the files needed for the install, then it wants to reboot to finish the install, once it gets to the window part where it says Welcome to blah blah installation thats as far as it goes and freezes. My CPU doesnt over heat, so its not heat related but what else could be wrong? Computer store says the chip is compatible, but why wont it work? Windows XP see's it as a 1.3 chip, I can manage to bring up computer information before the system locks. So I know the chip works.... I'm overlooking something. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Spitfire..... the link i gave above tell's you

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Micron support site has a cmos update to flash the rom and what not, downloaded, ran that, when it was done it said no update required :dunno:

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Windows XP. still have XP on it, i havent tried 98 yet

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Ill call micron as a last resort and see what they have to say as a last resort. im gonna root through google later on today and see if I find anything else. I appreciate your help so far :)

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Contacting Micron will be a very helpful step..

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

done did earlier today, between those who I had asked and the computer store who said the chip would work, micron said it wouldnt. waste of $ for the chip. oh well