$700 to build a computer, what would you do?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noon, Oct 31, 2006.

1. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

I don't really need much. At least 1G ram, and a video card with 2 DVI outputs for my monitors. Every thing else doesn't really matter..

What would you build?

2. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

buy mine.

3.4ghz p4
    2gb ram
    maudio revolution 5.1 sound
    evga 6800gt
    dl dvd burner
    dvdrom / cdrw
    200gb hd (not sata :()

damn thats almost a steal for 700

3. 7960

7960 New Member

$300 for emachines from Best Buy, then put another $200 toward RAM and video card.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

depends on what all you would be carrying over from the old system, if anything at all.
    What do you need to buy for this build?
    Case; yes or no?
    HDD(s); yes or no? If yes, how many and minium size requirement?
    Optical drive; yes or no? If yes, what kind; DVD-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CDRW, so on?
    Are you a gamer? This will help descide how much cash really needs to go toward the video card. If yes, name a few of the newest games you play most often.
    PSU; yes or no? If yes the video card needed may help determined the sizeof the PSU

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

i would suggest going against this. i work @ gateway, and emachines are really low end GWs, and also if you buy from bestbuy you dont get support for shit.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm not going to debate this again, but I've bought and/or recommended people buy soemthing like 16 emachines and I've never had a problem with any of them.

According to its latest survey of subscribers about who makes the most reliable personal computers and backs them the best, PC World magazine gave Dell, eMachines, Gateway, IBM, and Sony its top score......

http://www.infotoday.com/linkup/lud100104-goldsborough.shtml

7. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

The only thing that I will be taking from this computer is:

2 x Acer 19" WS monitors
    Mouse,keyboard,speakers,
    DVD+/-RW

I need a new case,mobo,PS,video card,memory,etc. The only thing I am taking out of my old computer is the DVD+/-RW.

The only game I play is Counterstrike 1.6, the rest of the time it's just OT, iTunes, AIM, and Dreamweaver.

8. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Asus Mobo, Dual Core Duo processor, seagate HDD, use newegg

9. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I have a emachine laptop and it's a total piece of junk, I got it in replacement of an old toshiba because it had way better specs.. should've asked for another toshiba..

seriously, emachines is really crap for laptops!!!

10. 7960

7960 New Member

the ford taurus is a piece of shit. the ford f-150 is one of the best trucks made.

emachines' laptops have never rated very high. emachines PC towers have been better or at least as good as Dell for the past 4 years.

completely different product lines can easily have completely different quality scores.

11. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

that's why I specified it was a laptop.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

For that price? Buy an eMachine. I used to have one; it lasted me through college.

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

wait. plenty of pc deals slowly popping up and there's a trend that pc prices during the holiday season are going to be at an all time low due to the delay of vista. pc manufacturer's were betting on the release of vista to boost holiday sales, but now that it won't come out until Jan, they need to provide other means to get people's business, low prices. There's an article about it in our paper, wsj.

obviously this only applies if you don't have to build your own.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

I thought the topic of this thread was, "$700 to build a computer" not "$700 to BUY a computer"

There's a wonderful place online called newegg... ( www.newegg.com ). Go there, research what you want. There are plenty of people who post comments about the good, the bad, and the ugly of everything. Just search motherboards and get one that seems to do well, or can overclock (OC is fun), then buy your RAM, i think it's like 1 gig for $100 or something like that. Then hit up the rest of your stuff, buy a custom tower and some accessories, and your set. Should be somewhere around $500-$700 without a video card for a high end computer.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

when building costs $700 but buying costs $350.................. well, you do the math.

16. Neighk

Neighk Red Sox/Patriots >*

emachines are now made by gateway....

17. JustJeff

If you buy a PC that's only $350, you could buy the same parts by themselves and build it for $200...

Therefore, if you have the $700 budget, might as well go all out and get what you can with it.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

you can't build this for $200

[​IMG] Intel® Celeron® D processor 352 with 533MHz frontside bus, 512KB L2 cache and 3.2GHz processor speed
    [​IMG] 512MB PC3200 DDR memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB
    [​IMG] DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 120GB hard drive with 2MB cache (7200 rpm) wS('5','1')[​IMG]
    [​IMG] ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 graphics with available PCI Express x16 slot and up to 128MB shared video memory; high-definition audio (5.1-channel support)
    [​IMG] 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, front and rear accessible, for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
    [​IMG] Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed data/fax modem
    [​IMG] Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse and amplified stereo speakers
    [​IMG] Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, CyberLink PowerDVD, Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 and more

19. JustJeff

Processor: $72.49
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112213

RAM: $54.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026

Hard drive: $55.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144118

Motherboard/Graphics Card: $86.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131584

-- Most people already have Microsuck Windows XP --

Total right now is $270.46. The idea of under $200 is out of question, but under $350 still remains, though you h ave 80 dollars to spened on a tower, a CD/DVD drive, USB, and some other stuff.

Anywho, in essence, that's a decent buy. Sorry for being so uptight.

Only problem is the video card, and since it's built into the mobo, it would be a waste to have.

Though, if you are looking to do everything but play Counter-Strike 1.6, go for that emachines. However, if you can upgrade it (i'm not 100% sur eon the mobo being able to take an agp/pci e card, you'd have to double check) -- buy the emachines. Save you a shit load of time.

Otherwise, buy the parts on newegg based on the amount of people that buy and who leaves comments.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you factoring in the cost of buying Windows and Office, or are you assuming that he'll steal them? One thing the big box companies have always been able to beat wholesalers on, and will always be able to beat wholesalers on, is lower volume licensing costs for software.

21. JustJeff

Well, as I know it is probably illegal, I usually just take the windows from my previous or old computer and load it on to a new computer.

As well, my uncle used to work for a software company and would get us free copies of Windows, so I never really worried about getting a copy of it.