A&P 70/80-200 2.8's... Nikon vs. Sigma

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jazz, May 22, 2007.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

Mar 14, 2000
    I'm looking at getting either a Sigma 70-200 2.8 or a Nikon 80-200 2.8.

I shoot rugby games and this range seems like the most used of the lenses I bring, and I'm kinda tired of renting. I usually rent the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, but that's a bit too much $$$ to buy. I've rented that lens 3 times, and this last time they didn't have any in stock so I grabbed the Sigma 70-200 2.8. I didn't actually notice any real performance difference (at least for my purposes) and I never use the VR of the Nikon so I'm thinking the Sigma would be a good buy.

The only other option is the Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-D... I've unfortunately never used that lens and my rental shop doesn't carry it so I'm looking for opinions. I'm guessing the focusing speed of the AF-D is gonna be a bit slow for my purposes compared to the AF-S/HSM motors of the other two lenses, but I thought I'd see if anybody who owns it had any other opinions.
  2. Blair

Blair New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Get the Nikon 80-200 2.8 AFS; it has the focusing speed you will need for sports.

I have owned both and the sigma is a turd in terms of build quality, sharpness, and color rendition.