GUN 7-11 clerk shoots robber

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 27, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7-Eleven clerk shoots, wounds would-be thief
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007
    By Milan Simonich, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A convenience store clerk in Ingram turned the tables on a knife-carrying robber yesterday, shooting and seriously wounding the would-be thief, police said.

Ingram Police Chief John Doherty said the clerk may have fired at the robber inside and then outside the 7-Eleven store at 10 W. Prospect Ave.

"He shot the robber several times. I'm not sure how many," Chief Doherty said in an interview.

The gunfire began in the store about 4:30 a.m. and then apparently continued outside, he said.

Chief Doherty declined to identify either the clerk or the robber. He said the would-be thief is 20 years old and the clerk is in his mid-20s.

Emergency crews transported the robber to Allegheny General Hospital, where he underwent surgery, Chief Doherty said.

He said the clerk may have had a less serious injury.

"I believe the clerk was cut," the chief said.

Chief Doherty said the preliminary investigation showed that the clerk had a permit to carry a firearm. He said he knew this particular clerk because he had been robbed previously and Ingram police investigated that case.

7-Eleven has had a no-weapons policy for store employees since the 1970s. Chief Doherty said he did not know whether the Ingram clerk violated a corporate rule by carrying his gun.

An employee at the 7-Eleven store in Ingram referred questions to a manager, who was not in yesterday.

Corporate offices of the Dallas-based chain were closed yesterday because of the Christmas holiday. But 7-Eleven executives at the corporate level have said that one weapon carried by a store employee was one too many.
    :ugh:
    The 7-Eleven chain, with more than 32,000 stores worldwide, has instead tried to deter robberies by keeping only small amounts of cash in registers and by using security cameras.

Allegheny County police will be the lead agency in the Ingram case. They will decide what charges to file, Chief Doherty said.

-----
    Well now that the clerk is going to have more freetime he should hit the range.

2. Section8

Section8 .

I can't believe that corporations that run 24 hour stores that are havens for robberies will not allow their employees to defend themselves.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Apparently they think dead clerks are less of a liability then dead robbers.

4. smartypants

smartypants New Member

The average robber gets away with what, $200 bucks?
    Armed Robbery and murder aren't the same crimes.
    An untrained and armed clerk will not necessarily be able to prevent either crime.

5. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Unfortunate way of thinking. :(

Maybe they figure the clerk might shoot an innocent third party on accident?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well the point I really meant is who's more likely to sue 7-11 Achmed the dead clerks family back in bangldesh or Shaquans mom who says "he was a good boy who never hurt anyone, he liked basketball and was an aspiring rap artist"

But with 0 training I agree gun isn't always going be an aid, if the guy has the drop on you best to just hand over the cash in the register unless you think he has other plans. In this case the clerk got slashed before he even drew his weapon so who knows what would of happend to him if he had been unarmed.

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

It doesn't make sense to me that the robber would just start slashing without asking for money first.
    I tend to subscribe to a more transactional view of crime.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:dunno: usually hear on the news of a clerk getting it pretty frequently here, most robbers just want the money, but some will do in the clerk to for various reasons.. Guy I went to HS with is doing life for killing a convience store clerk, shot the guy after he reconized him(guy went into that store regulary was real short and weighed 300lbs would be hard not to :hsugh:) Probably would of gotten away with it to if he didn't try to cash in the lotto tickets he took.

9. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Thank God most of 'em are dumb.:naughty:
    If trout were this hard to catch, you wouldn't need fly rods and waders, you could just whack 'em with a broomstick.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

When I lived in CA the clerk at the 711 was a guy I went to hs with. We recognized eachother. Neither of us acknowledged it though.

I always felt bad for him. :(

11. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

i bet he gets fired. good work though. id hire him

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That sucks.

13. MTech

MTech New Member

That sure seems to be working...:ugh2:

and all of this in my fucking city.. that area is a shithole you'd be a fool not to carry. I NEVER go downtown w/o my gun on me and I'm not trying to make pittsburgh out to be like Compton but Homestead, The Hill District, and Wilkinsburg (WeKillYinzBurg as we like to call it) are not fun places to be a white person at night. :run:

:rofl:

14. Werm

Werm Guest

Those who make the policies aren't the ones behind the counter at 2 in the morning. I bet they'd have a different opinion on the matter.

15. Section8

Section8 .

I saw a guy i went to HS with working at Best Buy a few years ago when I was buying a 52" HDTV. Was pretty sad - he was running the register and I was buying a TV that probably cost what he made in 2 weeks. :hs: I thought he was a smart guy in HS too, not sure what happened.

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I'd carry anyway, such as he did. My life is more important than their stupid job.

Oh wait, I do.

17. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

I carry at my job :io:

18. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Are you prohibited from doing so?

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

ibWalMartemployeethread

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:hs:

21. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

22. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

bummer hunter

23. MTech

MTech New Member

I never quite understood while liberals will kill babies by the thousands but they'll be damned if they let a murderer, rapist ect die. They'd rather waste away people tax dollars keeping them in prison only to have them escape or eventually let them go to do it all over again.

24. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

The biggest misconception is that these people have a right to life after murdering another. If the dog is rabid, you put it down. Our "reform" programs obviously don't work.