GUN $7.00 Night Sights v.EDU

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by redna, May 22, 2007.

1. redna

redna New Member

I'm not sure if you want to try this on any of your higher priced guns, but I just bought a P-32 today for my backup carry and when i went down to shoot it I found it sort of hard to sight even in the lighting at the range. Being as though i only spent 200 bucks on it I figured it was as good a gun as any to try my hand at doing some mods.

First, the obligatory pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's how i did it:

First, dismantle the gun (obviously)
    [​IMG]

Next, use a pin hole punch or likewise to mark your dot locations. This provides a guide for the drill (yes, we'll be drilling our slide).
    [​IMG]

See pin hole in sight (maybe, it's pretty small)
    [​IMG]

Go to Wal-Mart and get Krylon hobby paint. Both Glow in the Dark and Fluorescent Yellow (or whatever color you want, it was a toss between yellow and red for me)
    [​IMG]

Side Note Wally World has Blazer Brass in .45 ACP for 10.97 right now.

BREAK OUT THE DRILL PRESS! And milling vice if you have one. it helps to align the bit.
    [​IMG]

Use a 1/16 drill bit and drill into the slide VERY LIGHTLY. The object is to create an indention into the metal to hold the paint in... not to drill through the whole thing. Although i did think about drilling through the whole thing and using fiber optic bow and arrow sights for this.... not quite yet though. haha.
    [​IMG]

The front sight is a little harder to align. I tipped mine just a little bit so that i could get the bit in there.

[​IMG]

All done with the drilling. It's kind of stressful. haha.
    [​IMG]

Now comes the fun part. PAINTING THE HOLES! I tried a number of different combinations on a paper plate first to see which combo i liked the best and I finally decided that i liked 2 seperate coats of paint. First the Yellow and then the Glow in the Dark. It seems to give better results for both day and night. If you just mix the two in a 3:1 ratio (3=Glow) it's okay, but i opted for the 2 coat method because it was quite a bit brighter.

I used a tooth pick to drip a little dot of paint into the crater we created with the drill press.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, on the slide and drying. I sighted down the slide real quick and I've got to say that it makes a HUGE difference. I might try a 2 tone sight system if this one ever fails (red on the back, yellow on the front).
    [​IMG]

I'll post pics tomorrow when the gun is all put back together!

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

hah. that's pretty cool :bigthumb:

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I wouldn't go that far, but I know lots of people that paint a strip on their front sight.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

These people do it for the hi viz factor though

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

You have to shine light on phosphorescent paint to get it to glow later on. It won't get much light in a holster.

7. redna

redna New Member

But I'm going to wear this one on my head band!

8. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Nicely done. Hope it works out for you.

9. redna

redna New Member

Not the best picture but you get the idea. I really like it.... I do think that I'll change the rears to Red though. I need to clean up the right rear sight, i spilled a little paint over. That should be easy enough to do though with the hole drilled.

[​IMG]

10. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I was thinking about trying that, but I have some of the glow powder that you add to epoxy. Main problem would be how long it glows out of the presence of light, guess thats why they usually use tritium

11. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

i'd suggest you drill those holes but bring it to a watchmaker who can add tritium paint that he uses in watch hands

glow in the dark for the next 11 or 12 years!

12. MTech

MTech New Member

The PX4 is painted and those sights last something like 2-3days if they're in sunlight for a couple hours.

13. kds000

kds000 New Member

there is no way it lasts that long

14. MTech

MTech New Member

That's what they claim :hsughno:

My best friend has one I'll ask him if he's tested that yet. I think he said you're supposed to give it 2 or 4 hours sunlight and they say it's good to go for a couple days.

I do know when we used his police light on them for a minute than took it out those things are blinding bright.