680i mobo ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rodthrower18, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Found an SE version for $139.00 you guys think the price will be coming down anytime soon ? Im still workin on a plan of attack for my next gaming rig (to be built after the black friday blood letting of my wallet has ceased. So far the plan is this mobo with a e6750 c2d 2.66ghz and a 8800gts(possibly an x if the price is right) and a full 4gb of sli ready ram(i know xp will on only read 3.2ish :( ) ANy suggestions are GREATLY welcomed as its been almost 3yrs since i've built a system and im pretty out of it right now. O yea i'll probably just snatch up a cheap seagate 500gb hdd and a generic 18x dvd burner. Im debating on the monitor right now, i want 22" but i've got a line on an EXTREMELY cheap 37" LCD tv :ugh:. Thx in advance for any tips or advice.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

P35 >>>>>>>>>> 680i

3. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Got a favorite manu ? These boards can still run pci e in "sli" right ? I know its not advertised but what other purpose is ther efor multiple pci e slots ?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

SLI is only on nvidia nforce boards (580i, 680i, etc.)
    P35 and other Intel chipsets may or may not support Crossfire (ATI's version of SLI)

SLI and Crossfire are both worthless. A single next gen card always kicks their ass.

Note that PCI-E is not exclusive for graphics card. You can use any PCI-E device as long as it complies with PCI-E standards. You can also use a PCI-E X8 RAID controller card to the PCI-E X16 slot, but note that you cannot use a PCI-E X16 Graphics card to a PCI-E X1, X4, or X8 slot.

Today,... only Graphics card has been developed to take advantage of PCI-E X16, and the upcoming X32 lane interface.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

6. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I recently got:
    Q6600 quad core
    Asus Striker Extreme (680i chipset)
    2Gb Geil DDR800
    Asus 8800GTS (320Mb version)

I'm extremely happy. It'll run any current game at high settings on a 22 inch widescreen no problem.

The motherboard is excellent. I'm running Vista 64 bit and I've had no problems. The BIOS is fantastic, there's an LCD screen for diagnosing errors, the board also has built in LEDs and all sorts of other gadgets.

Can't say I've had any driver issues or stability problems at all.

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

That ds3r is looking really enticing for competition with the 680i. Im mainly just tryin to make sure that i can handle crysis and any of the other sickeningly resource hungry games that come out for at least the next yr(im cheap and still have tuition and rent :rofl: )

8. thebox

thebox New Member

IP35 pro sounds pretty fucking decent

it is tempting me away from my asus p5b real fast

and that gigabyte mobo looks fucking GREAT for the price too

9. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

werd and with the mail in rebate the ip35 pro and the ds4 are the same price. Fuck this is a tough choice. Part of me just wants to grab a 360 and a 37" lcd and call it a day and end the struggle. The smarter part of me knows its time for a new machine(runnin an almost 4yr old laptop) not to mention CRYSIS is a must for me. So bottom line wats the BEST board for ~$175 that will allow me to oc the e6750 to at least 3.2 in the quickest most stable fashion? Im torn beween the dsd an p35pro at the moment since i've been finding more less than stellar reviews on the 680i. No sleep for the weary doing research :hsd:

10. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Any of the Gigabyte "DS3" series is gonna be a safe bet. It seems to be what most of the sites are using of their OC/board writeups nowadays.

If you don't need RAID, stay away from the "r" and you can get that board for about $93 which is a sweet deal and will push any Intel chip to its limits ;)

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I'm playing the crysis demo right now, and have no problems with it on my system @ 1920x1200 with all the settings on high (there is a very high setting, but it's greyed out in the demo) and haven't had any issues with it slowing down at all.

I'm running a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, 4GB DDR2 800 ram, and an 8800gtx.

Overall, depending on what size monitor you have IMO should help dictate what video card you get. The 648MB 8800GTS should be able to handle most resolutions upto 1600x1200, but anything higher you should be going to the GTX.

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

My 360 is just collecting dust. :mamoru:

I got a q6600 oc'd @ 3.4GHz stable with the IP35 Pro.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3393457

I'm still shooting for my 3.6GHz goal. Will probably add another fan on my Ultra-120 cooler for a push-pull config to reach this. Will also do a vdroop mod.

Quads run hotter than dual cores, so I'm sure you'll reach 3.2GHz easily.
    Same with the Gigabyte DS4.

The DS4 was just recently released. The few who have it say that it's basically the same as the Gigabyte DQ6, which is an awesome board. The best overclocks I've seen used the DQ6.

When I purchased the abit, my only choices were the Asus P5K Deluxe, and the Gigabyte DQ6. Never liked the Deluxe's design (mosfets at the back of the PCB) and Gigabyte's legacy ports (LPT, COM ports) so I went with the Abit.

If the Asus Blitz or the DS4 (does not have the legacy ports) were out at that time, I probably wouldn't have bought the Abit. But as you can see on my Q6600 build,... I got no regrets, the board kicks ass.

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I made the mistake of buying a 680i mobo instead of waiting for the newer and better stuff to hit.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

well,.. that how it is in the hardware market.

what sucks more is that you buy this hardware for $100,.. next day it drops down to $75. :mad:

15. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Thats y im tryin to wait a couple months when prices are pretty much gonna be at the lowest levels of the yr, but im not sure how long this plan will work for me once crysis hits :hsd: and dan513 ur one lucky bastid i WISH my laptop were powerful enough to play beta but i dont have a genie or a wishing well :hs: