6800 Ultra Won't let me POST

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Timdog, May 12, 2008.

1. Timdog

Timdog New Member

So, I turned my computer on this afternoon and it powers up, but nothing appears on the screen. After a lot of testing and retesting, the culprit appears to be my 6800 ultra. When I plugged my monitor into my onboard video, things worked. Now I know that my 400W PSU isn't really the recommended amount for this card, but it was working just fine yesterday so I don't know what happened. Any ideas? I'm going to try putting in a x800 pro that I have, but I would prefer to get the 6800 ultra working. Its fans turn on, but it just isn't outputting a signal.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be dead card, could be psu, could be poor connection. no one can really answer your question without some troubleshooting.

3. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I tried the x800 Pro and it also didn't work so I'm assuming it's an issue with my AGP slot. Googling around for info right now.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, could be mobo or psu. likely mobo. do you have another machine to test with?

5. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I have 3 machines which are in parts right now so it'll be a pain, but I guess I can try it out.

I think I know what happened now. My electricity went out last night/this morning and I stupidly didn't unplug the computer. I'm thinking when the power came back on that it burnt out the AGP slot if that's even possible? The computer still POSTs with the onboard video so it doesn't seem like the entire thing is dead. Luckily I still have another mobo I can swap out.

6. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I changed out my motherboards today. Popped everything back in, yay, it boots up fine! Go into BIOS and set CPU speed, mem timings, etc. Then reboot. I get just a flashing cursor in the upper left hand of my screen after the POST screen so I decide that I probably need to format because of changing the motherboards, reboot to reset BIOS boot order so that my CD-ROm is first but when I reboot, it just freezes at the POST screen. I can't get into BIOS or anything. Well, I decide that clearing CMOS will probably do it, clear CMOS and now I have the same problem. Fans spin up, hard drive spins up, GPU fan spins on, DVD drive turns on, but no output to my monitor. I tried changing outlets to see if that was the issue and that didn't help. I'm really getting sick of this and might end up just buying a new PC soon (this one is 4 years old, but I'd like to get as much life out of it as possible). Anything I put together for around $1000 will be much better than this old junker (it was a nice machine back in the day...). I would still like to get as much longevity out of this thing as possible so is there anything else I should try to fix this?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're obviously not qualified to be doing troubleshooting. stop it before you break something.