67 Chevelle: Electric fan vs. fan shroud???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by uofapeter, Apr 17, 2008.

1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

I'm going to be replacing the radiator on the chevelle soon in order to get ready for the AZ summer. All the local guys are telling me to get a fan shroud for the current engine fan and itll keep the engine much much cooler. It currently just spins in the engine bay without airflow direction. I'm contemplating picking up and aluminum radiator and throwing dual electric fans on there at the same time. The motor is a fairly aggresive 327.

Whats the better choice? Will an electric fan or fans keep the engine as cool as the normal engine fan with a shroud installed?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When the car is moving, the wind will do more than the fan ever could. The fan is just there to keep it from overheating when stopped.

Given your locale, I'd go with a high-speed electric fan, so it can move much more air when the car is idling than the belt-driven fan can manage. If you can keep the belt-driven fan, though, that's good too, because it will keep the rest of the engine bay cooler even if it doesn't do much for the radiator.

(my car has one of each.)

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Is your engine fan in the open or does it have a shroud?

4. I doubt you will have the space for an electric and mechanical fan. Just go with the electric. Its what I ran on my 68 pickup here in tucson and never once had a problem with heat. Also a shroud in the application he's talking about would be kinda pointless IMO, normally the shroud ensures the air is drawn through the radiator; with the electric fans there it wont to any good.

carb tuning, now that was a problem

5. I assume you are in Tucson so if you ever need help or garage space just pm me and I'll be glad too.

6. deusexaethera

It has a shroud. And it's a VW Passat, not a Chevelle, for the record, though that doesn't really make a lot of difference. Heat dissipation is heat dissipation, no matter where it happens.

Actually, now that I think of it, there was a big fad on PassatWorld a while back where people were removing their belt-driven fans and installing electric fans in their place, so...hell, you can always hardwire one of the fans if you really want it to run all the time, but in any event it's worth switching to something that's temperature-controlled instead of RPM-controlled.

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

I graduated so I'm up in Scottsdale now. Thanks for the offer!

I have a pretty sick work spot right now actually. Covered RV garage w/ multiple AC work sheds. Its money.

8. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

ELECTRIC FAN ALL THE WAY.

9. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

:werd:

It'll do the job easily, is quiet, and frees up some room in the engine bay as well.

Win/win. :bigthumb:

10. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Then its settled. Any recommendations on models or brands? I'm liking the ones than turn on according to temp and its going to be a hot fucking summer.

11. deusexaethera

I can't suggest brands, but if you have the option, you should get two smaller ones instead of one larger one; it will give you better coverage across the width of the radiator, and you can have them turn on at different temperatures so it's not all-or-nothing.

12. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Also draws less horsepower IIRC a Car Craft article from a few years back correctly.

win/win/win

13. I purchased the entire Be Cool setup, radiator and fan. Its nice because the rad will designed to fit and the cfans are matched to the radiator

14. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Good point. :bigthumb:

15. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  16. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

IMO, doesn't really matter which type of fan you use. I have a '72 Chevelle with a 402, stock cooling setup works very well, but you have to have the shroud. If you're putting in an aftermarket rad, it's the easiest time to convert to electric, but make sure your electrical system can handle it, specifically with a more powerful alternator.

Really the biggest advantage to going electric is all the room it frees up between the radiator and the engine.

17. Fareo

Fareo New Member

electric fan with a shroud if you can, and measure it up, get 2 small ones or 1 huge one dont leave part of your radiator uncooled.