6600GT OC --> 6800 or X800?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Missile Command Kid, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

I've been having problems with my Leadtek PX6600GT Extreme (550/1100 stock) for five months now. I've had to return it for RMA twice and will have to RMA it again this week, each time for three separate reasons. I don't know whether I'm unlucky or whether Leadtek/Nvidia simply lacks quality control, but all I know is that this card isn't working out for me.

Now, I'm going to RMA it and sell the new one, and in its place purchase either an 6800 vanilla or an ATI X800. I don't know a lot about either card, but I do know that they're both faster than the 6600GT (no point in downgrading). My primary concern is not so much pure speed, but stability. I'm not going to be overclocking at all, nor using the card in SLi; rather, I want to get a card that I *probably* won't have to RMA due to the memory flaking out, or random lockups, or weird choke-like noises coming from the card (I kid you not).

So, I need some help in choosing between the 6800 and the X800 (if there are other cards around the same price point which you'd like to recommend, feel free to do so). Advice regarding specific brands is very welcome. Reading reviews didn't exactly help with the Leadtek, so some good, ol'fashioned anecdocal evidence would be terrific. The question is simply this: which one will work better, taking into account system stability and uptime, and to a lesser extent gaming performance?

AMD A64 3200+ Rev. E (Venice)
    2x512 Corsair Valueram PC3200 400MHz DDR
    MSI Neo4 Platinum (nForce 4 chipset)
    Samsung Spinpoint SP2014N 200GB 7200RPM PATA
    SB Live! Value
    Pioneer DVR-109
    Seasonic S12-380 Rev. 1 (380w total power, 25a on 12v rails)

2. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Leadtek 6800LE O/C'd with RivaTuner FTW

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Get the 6800 vanilla

The 6800 vanilla is slower in clock speeds but it's better in performance. Plus you can open the 12 pixelpipeline to 16..however depending on the game you'll only gain 1 to maybe 10 fps, on the average about 3-5fps.

4. Missile Command Kid

ATI has a refurbed X800 Pro for $230 CAD ($190 USD) for sale on their web site; comes with a 3 year warranty. One of the reasons I'm leaning ATI is because they're Canadian, so returns/RMA isn't as much of a hassle as another US company. Any comments about this?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Newegg has one for about $160-180....I forget. Not much more what a 6600GT goes for.

6. Missile Command Kid

It's a good suggestion, but unfortunately Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, and the XT isn't nearly that cheap here in Canada.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Not all 6800AGPs will unlock. and no 6800 PCI-E's will unlock. So i don't advice going that route.