64-bit Snow Leopard defaults to 32-bit kernel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Aug 31, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Yes, most third party drivers and other kernel extensions won't work, they need to be rewritten.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Werd. Not a big deal as it doesn't increase system performance by booting into 64-bit mode. Plus it means you can run 32-bit applications. Try doing that with Windoze XP or Vista 64 and see what happens. :rofl:

4. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

64-bit apps run on the 32 bit kernel.

http://netkas.org/?p=127

OS X (Unix) is different from Windows in that respect. Not having a 64-bit kernel just means you can't load 64-bit kexts, but 64-bit apps can still run in the user space.

5. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

you have to do the keystrokes every time, there's no way to command line it to default to 64-bit

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

What? Both XP and Vista 64 have been running 32bit applications flawlessly for years now. You aren't limited to 64bit apps.

7. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Yes there is you can set "arch=x86_64" either in the nvram or the Boot.plist, then it will boot into 64 bit mode as long as Apple supports it on your machine.

(Don't try this unless you know what you're doing and can revert it)

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

^Correct if you do this and discover you cannot boot or something happens you can hold 3 and 2 while booting to boot into 32bit. I tried this and noticed no increase in performance, and my VMFusion no longer loaded my 32bit XP machine.

9. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

It seems that the situation now is that few people will really want/need the 64-bit kernel. But I'm still pissed off since my computer (a MacPro1,1) isn't supported for it (at least yet). According to all I've read, there's absolutely no reason for this aside from an arbitrary decision by Apple that it's not supported since a machine with EFI32 can boot a 64 bit OS. Likewise, Apple has decided that all MacBooks, even if they have EFI64 firmware, can't boot into the 64 bit kernel either.

Some of the Hackintosh people report being able to use some of their work to get real Macs to boot into the 64-bit kernel even though they're not supported by Apple, but I have so far been unsuccessful doing this on my Mac.

:o

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

currently there is no reason to need to boot into 64bit unless you have a massive amount of ram...

64 bit apps work regardless, and 32 bit apps run natively... so best of both worlds...

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Whenever I try to run Beavis and Butthead Do U on my Vista 64 it complains that it can't run it because it's 32-bit. :hs:

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

tried this a while ago on my mbp, boots 64 bit fine, everything seems the same except for some info in system profiler. :hs:

13. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Anything that is not written to 64-bit will run at 32-bit.

14. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Yeah, recent MBPs are supported. It's the plain MacBooks and older Mac Pros and Mac minis that have 32-bit EFI that won't work, even though they all should be able to easily (except for the very earliest Intel Macs that have a Core Solo 32-bit only processor). It's some artificial constraint imposed by Apple.