64 bit linux 4 a beginner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Muchacho_Gasolino, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

well i have been reading up a little on linux lately because i am interested in trying something new and maybe getting a little 1337er, and i also would like to try some 64 bit computing, considering i have the hardware and windows is shutting the computer builders like me out of the windows 64 on release, and plus they suck. Anyway i have two problems: one is that there are tons and tons of different kinds of linux i have found and i have no idea which one is best for me the home user who usually knows his way around the computer, mainly for internet lookin around(i know about mozilla and stuff)/AIM(dunno about this one linux wise)/games(pretty much resigned to using windows for those)/homework(staroffice). I most likely will not be running a server or anything. Another is that, although i have somewhere around 180gb free, all the space on my hard drives is partitioned, a result of me not foreseeing this, and i know i need a seperate partition to set up the penguin on. Is there any way to split some free space off and make a new partition?
    I have heard that mandrake is good for the home user, and i saw on a website a boxed 64 bit version for $15 or thereabouts. Also, would a book be helpful? I'm kind of thinking it would, but maybe just figuring stuff out on my own is better for me.

2. MaXBoost

MaXBoost < OG Member :)

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Just download SuSE (www.suse.com). It's by far the easiest distro to install and configure (hell of a lot easier than Windows) and it comes with tons of software (including AIM, StarOffice, some games, mozilla).

Let me know if you need more information, I'm always willing to help. AIM: RagePenguin

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

SuSE > *

5. bleak

bleak Guest

Slackware > *

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

:nono: slackware isn't 64 bit out of the box. you think a beginner should be recompiling the kernel?

7. MaXBoost

MaXBoost < OG Member :)

linux all the way

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: Slack isn't a great beginner distro in general either. SuSE is as friendly as they come.