636+New rider+Head shake+Crash= AMPUTEE

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by turbodeuce, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

2. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

One of the many reasons why I recommend smaller and more forgiving bike as your first bike.

3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Hmm, maybe he shouldn't have been doing 90-100 on surface streets. Part of the reason I'm starting off with a bigger 200cc scooter instead of a real bike. I'll learn on the scoot, then move on to a bike, cruiser most likely. Crotch rockets won't agree with my back, I don't think.

Anyways, sucks for that guy, but at least he's still alive, and his spirits are still up, and he plans on riding again. Could have been much worse.

4. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Stupid question... but what is head shake?
    I Think it has something to do with the steering going whichever way it wants to.. thus using dampeners would help quite a bit... Yes, No??
    :dunno:

5. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i haven't been on a bike in 10 years.......just got a new bike - a 900 actually. I went from a 175 dirtbike 10 years ago to a 900 a week a go. if he was accelerating normally, he wouldn't have pulled the front end up. I haven't....but I drive like a normal person. 100 mph is a bit excessive. sounds to me like he was a typical squid. or as I am growing to call them - organ donors.

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Once again people look to blame the bike and not the rider. Its amazing how many people start out on huge bikes and never have a single problem, but as soon as soom jackass starts doing things he shouldnt be doing (90-100+) then all the sudden the bike is the devil.

Oddly enough even small bikes can get you up to speeds where 1 mistake can cost your life. Maybe he should have known a little more before taking that bike to near redline in every gear??

He wanted speed and he got it, wether a 250, 500, 600, or 900...same thing would have happened.

7. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Jesus christ.

I got some money for my birthday to buy riding boots, but just today I was thinking about using the money for an undertail. God what a stupid idea.

Thanks for posting this...I'm going to buy some S-MX 3's now...

8. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Smaller bikes are lot more newbie friendly, in regard to throttle sensitivity. Of course, that is in the case of unintentional throttle input. When you're new, you don't really know what is too much or too little, that that's what usually get you into trouble.

9. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

and thats why you dont get on the highway going 100+mph untill you understand and 'feel' the bike. You should do that all the time with a new bike, no matter what the size.

10. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

also some bikes are less prone to headshake than others *which seems to be the culprit*.... the 636 in this case is well known for being front-light and headshake inducive.... had the rider been on say a gs500 or even a cbrf4, it mightve been different, hell it mightve been different if he bought a steering damper

11. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Head shake happens when the handlebars start to go back and forth. Sometimes it starts off kinda slow, other times it is pretty sudden. It usually occurs under acceleration when the front end lifts a little and when you come back down you get a little wobble. It can also occur under deceleration but that is not as common.

Their are many reasons (improper setup/bumps in the road/etc) for headshake but, as others have mentioned, some bikes are more prone to headshake than others. The reason why is because some bikes (sportbikes in particular) have very aggressive front-end geometry.

The problem with it is that your first instinct when you encounter headshake is to slow down or brake and that is exactly what you shouldn't do. If you give it a bit more throttle, you can usually ride it out.

And yes, a steering damper helps alleviate the situation.

12. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Damn Im thinking about getting riding shoes now, till now I been riding with regular leather shoes.

But DAMN did you guys noticed that guys attitude towards his injuries?? FK I would be depressed as MOFO. FK posting online I wouldnt want get out of me bed.

feel bad for that guy thou.

13. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Why? I'm surprised Darwin didn't win this time around.

14. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

The problem is that you don't need to go 100mph to hit boulder, or go off a cliff, or accidently jerk the throttle and jump into middle of traffic. I'm sure that are a bunch of people that can control the throttle just fine, but statistically speaking, new riders are at a disadvantage. That's the reason why you want to recommend a smaller older bike due to the throttle sensitivity. A new rider plus a sensitive bike is a deadly combination.

15. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Aha.. Thanks for the reply. I've accidentally done this on my Mountain bike (wasn't caused by hard acceleration obviously, I was stupid and started wiggling the handlebars back and forth at high speed downhill)

Which bikes are considered to be the most prone to this? Since GSX-R's come stock with Steering dampers, I'm going to guess that they are not prone to it?

16. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Headshake happens when it's easier for the outside forces to deflect the front tire to the side than it is for the outside forces to compress the suspension.

Like f c u k means, a bike that is lighter on the front or has stiffer forks is gonna be more likely to headshake. The guy could have been a lightweight, too (I am). I think the bottom line is he was just going too fast, and should have had his boots on :( Hope he recovers alright.

17. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

how do you correct a bad headshake when it happens?

by the tone of his post, it looks like this guy doesn't give a shit and will do it again. Fear, skills and luck is what keeps people alive. this guy obviously doesn't have the first two. he mentioned he's had close calls before - his lucky streak can't go on forever.

18. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

if its a light headshake you should give it more throttle to release the front tire and also relax your arms/grip.. it will ride out eventually

if its a bad headshake (tankslapper)..... well hopefully you were wearing gear :hs:

19. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

+1

20. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

great post.

21. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

His attitude is probably chemically induced.

I know when my arm almost got shredded I had so much morphine and then so much
    Vicoden that I was in "good spirits" too.

22. bummerkit

bummerkit New Member

you too...

23. ryguy461

ryguy461 New Member

I Hate Tank Slappers

24. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Man Im glad I dont have friends that think like you.

25. Frequency

Frequency New Member

darwin > *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.