60W RMSx4ch on stock 18ga wiring?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WiKiD, Feb 26, 2008.

1. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I am planning on installing new speakers and an amp next weekend. I had been going with the approach that since i am gonna be tearing everything apart i might as well run my own 16 or 14 ga through the car.

A bunch of people locally have been telling me to just run a 8 wire loom to the head unit and splice into the stock wires. This sounds a ton easier but also kinda sounds like some BB corner cutting technique.

Am i going to lose much on stock wiring vs my own with just 60W rms on each channel?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

run the power wire to the battery. ground near the amp. do not deviate from this.

3. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I planned on that for powering the amp. What i am asking about running a wire loom for all 4 speakers from the amp to the head unit and splicing them into the factory speaker wires behind the HU instead of running my own speaker wire to each of the 4.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

18awg will be okay, but I like to run new speaker wire so I dont have to mess with the factory connectors. I can just leave the factory wiring alone so I can easily reinstall the factory stereo when I go to sell the car.

5. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

Grabbed the Kicker 4awg 4 channel kit today. Came with 60 feet of 16awg so i guess ill go ahead and do it right. :bigthumb:

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

oh, yeah that would be fine.

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

It just depends on whether you want to pull the stuff when you sell it. I have always just cut off the factory connectors and gone with factory wiring. Not the 'correct' way to do it, but it is faster.