6-lead stepper motor: Half-coil vs. Series configuration

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Petar, May 16, 2007.

1. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

I dunno if anybody will know this but I have a 6-lead geared stepper motor and a driver/indexer. There's two configurations in the manual to hook up the motor: Half-coil and Series and I would like to know the difference. Thanks.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I think that's where the coil winding has breaks in it at even intervals.

Yours sounds like it has two breaks, and probably a set of grounds.

Half coil is just like it sounds, only using half of the coil.

Series puts both halves into a full coil.

This isn't much different than the old days of speaker building when coils had multi taps on them for different inductance values.

Hope that helps.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You go Doc.

One question: why does the motor have six leads if only two are needed for each half of the coil?

4. Doc Brown

If it's a stepping motor, then it may have a third lead per half coil for proper ground.
    That's my guess, anyway. It wouldn't be hard to check with a mulit-meter.

But I don't think the coil has three sets of taps, because then it wouldn't be likely for it to
    have a half-tap available.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sadly, I don't know what the hell you just said. Hell, I only recently finally understood how I can have two 110V lines coming into my house and I can somehow get 220V out of them to run my clothes-dryer with.

6. Doc Brown

Picture a transformer coil. At a random point on the coil, have a set of breaks in the coil. Those would be your taps. On an inductor, you could have any number of different taps to give you different inductance values.

Now on thread starters coil, he mentions a half tap so I know what that interval is.
    With 6 leads, you can now account for at least 4 of them.
    So it either uses 3 leads per tap, or two. If it's three leads per tap, then it's just half coil, full coil.
    common sense says that there is no 1/3 coil, because wherever he is getting the 1/2 coil availability information from would most likely show 1/3 (or any other fraction) as well.
    Plus, my gut feeling is that with it being a stepping motor, it's not going to be that practical to have such a small increment available. The main reason being, that such motors are so variable in the first place that it just wouldn't make sense to have to mess with multiple taps like that.

And what you mentioned is another possibility. This could very well be a 110/220 issue. Half tap for 110, full coil for 220.

Or if it's a really serious cnc stepping motor, even 220 at half tap and 440 at full coil.

At the end of the day, this is just another one of those situations that I wish I had more info to go on. :mamoru:

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter