6.5" component replacement Idea's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by S14DB, Apr 19, 2005.

1. S14DB

S14DB Lethologica

I have a 1998 240sx that takes 6.5" in all 4 corners.

I currently have Infinity reference 5 1/4" components in the front. And some cheap ass lighning audio 3ways in the back. I got a great deal on the Infinitys cause they were smaller. I got the adapter rings free. I got the rears cause they were the cheapest shit I could find and the rears were blown too. Now they are buzzing.

The Infinity's seem to need more power to get better bass out of them. I want to move them to the rear. Get a 4ch amp and get some nice 6.5" components in the front.

DIAMOND AUDIO M661 is the only thing that has been recomended so far. Ideas?

2. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

imo, get a set of 6.5" infinity reference components for the front so that they match tonally to the 5.25" pair that are going to the rear or get a really nice 6.5" set for the front only (no rear speakers) and a sub to round things out.

i run only the front stage plus a sub.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

DRM600 has a point.

But, what I would do (and I say this to basically everyone asking similar questions), is remove your rear components completely, buy some nicer front 6.5" components (maybe infinity kappa or kappa perfects if you like the brand), an amp and a sub. You could get a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear channels to a modest sub (maybe a 10"?). This will give you nice sound quality up front, and round out the bottom end with the sub. As far as amps, HiFonics makes good stuff of the price.

Or you could buy my components and amp that I will give you a good deal on. :x:
    Polk MM6 components (need adapter rings, buy 'em or make MDF mounts)
    -Top of the line components
    Polk C400.4 amp
    -Measured around [email protected]

4. S14DB

S14DB Lethologica

Oh I have a Alpine Type R sub being fed 600W. Don't use it all the time. Only when I want some kick I turn it on.

I was looking toward a 4x100w amp.

I am not totaly happy with the Infinity's. I only got them cause of the price I got. I normal weight the stage to the front. So, the rears only do fill.

5. veonake

Ok, I was serious about my offer btw and they are some seriously good sounding speakers/amp.

But, listen to some kappa perfects or boston acoustic pro's or focals in the same range. I still recommend only getting two and not having a rear soundstage. You can get a better amp this way as well.

6. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

those M661 are good i got em in my car

7. snapstylez

snapstylez Aleinn Á Ný

veonake, how much?

8. veonake

They are the MM6 actually, their top of the line model, they just stopped selling them. I think it is because they are larger than normal so you have to buy or make an adapter ring. Not a big deal, but puts some people off.

9. veonake

You have PM.

10. S14DB

S14DB Lethologica

he was talking about the Diamond Audio M661 that I was looking at in my first post.

11. truckshc

truckshc Guest

i say BA pros. i've never heard a pair that sound short of amazing.

12. denim

denim New Member

I love my RF Fanatic Q's, and my MB Quart QSD's, I have 2 pairs of Orion p6.2s, great components for the money