5th Gen iPod

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

[​IMG]

So, over the last 6 months there have been a lot of specualtion and rumors about the next generation iPod. Very gay.

So I'm adding to it. :o

Anyways, one of the things that has been speculated is that the new ipod will have the frosted aluminum casing found in the minis. At first I thought, "Yes!" because the easy to scratch plastic white case has always been a turn off to me. Then I also thought, "No white iPods? Good luck with that. Too iconic." But now with the release of the iPod nano, that opens up a few opportunities for the aluminum case on the 5th gen iPods, while still having white iPods in the line up.

Also, look at the way Apple styles their computers. The entry level Macs are all white or a majority white while the pro models carry an aluminum finish. Bringing this same styling into an iPod makes sense. However, I picture the 5th gen iPod taking on the shape of an ACD, with slightly harder corners then that found on the mini.

I think this flagship will also offer more then just more storage capacity over the other iPods in the line up. At the moment, the only difference between the nano an the 4th gen color iPod at this point is physical and memory size. So more features are a must.

Video. It's an obvious addition. If you have been following the talk about the videos on iTunes at all, you know what I'm talking about.

Bluetooth. Yeah, it's way too easy to add and too affordable to pass up.

New controls. The click wheel is great, but it's been improved and changed a lot in each generation while retaining it's iconic doughnut look.

Radio. Apple will find a way to not just add a radio. They will put some odd twist on it and say they are reinventing it or some shit. Like the ability to record the radio station into an MP3 format and replay later... or "tivo" the radio station for later playback for when you don't have time to listen to the radio.

More games, sync possibilities and software changes including the ability to shuffle songs in playlists from the iPod.

Now this is all theory, but it seems to fit pretty good IMO. But then again, it is theory :mamoru:

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

WTF are you selling? Transferring 60gb+ over BT would be retarded & suck up battery life. You're already at the computer, just plug it in.

Video? Don't really see it being a big enough sell for the players that do support it already. Plus, battery life...

Radio? Only to shut people up. Can't say I've heard astounding radio reception from small players that do have it.

Having the ability to read .imgs would be great. 60gb is nice. But 160gb in an image file would be tastey.

3. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

I think the bluetooth would be more for wireless headphones/accessories and such, but file transfers would be cool too.

My thoughts on video on the 5th gen ipod are that apple should really do something innovative. If they do include video, they better make it really convincing. I hope they make the ipod with a small widescreen like the psp, and that brings up the thought of what the interface would be like. I don't think they would use the click-wheel, that would be strange to hold it with both holds and only use one for navigation. they should also include the ability to connect to a tv or monitor and play videos on those. That would be pretty cool.

4. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I thought there was supposed to be something coming out that would let you use your iPod as sort of a roaming profile on different macs?

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Who in their right mind would use bluetooth to transfer 60 G of files? :rofl: Bluetooth is great if you are just updating podcasts or using it on headphones or to pull one or two files (music or pics) from your iPod. If the world went with your thinking on bluetooth, the technology wouldn't exist. Why go cordless when you can use cords? :hsugh:

Everything chews up battery life. Video is coming. Playing movies on an iPod? Hell yes. That would be great on trips.

Radio I would have no use for either, but I see it going on the iPod.

Are you suggesting a 160GB harddrive in an iPod? :hsugh:

6. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I'm suggesting compressing my 160gb of music into an IMG or DMG file and fitting more on that 60gb HD.

Something I think would make the iPod dominate? iPod Newton™.

Let me use it like a PDA and write on the screen & shit. Little chrome pens would be the new hotness.

EDIT:

And the BT headphones would be a cool idea. But it's one more thing I gotta recharge/replace batteries tho. :(

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:werd:

My thoughts are litterally like a small ACD with a built in touch screen. I know when we were using the touch screen technology 3 years ago in our electronic products here at work, it was pricey, but has dropped significantly since then. I can see an aluminum shell with a face that was nothing but a touch screen. While playing music, an image of a click wheel could show just for iconic sake and music would be displayed vertically. Then the display would lay vertically for cinema viewing. During playback, touch the screen anywhere for controls to appear.

Sounds doable. :dunno:

[​IMG]

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

BT headphones already exist.

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Yea I know. I mean if the iPod supported it internally.

10. Aluminum is expensive. No.

11. And people have been talking about radio for years. It's pretty obvious it won't happen.

12. grue

grue New Member

Bluetooth headphone sound quality is miserable, the bandwidth isn't there.

13. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

What do you think the mini is made out of dumbass? What do you think the back of the iPod is made of? I swear, you are the biggest tool on this site.

14. Lancer409

Lancer409 Member

they just released a multibutton mouse... announced that they are going with intel chips .. who knows what could happen?

15. The iPod is steel, you twat.

16. I fail to see your point.

17. Gothamist

Gothamist New Member

the ipod is steel

18. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I was wrong. I can admit that.

:cool:

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Edited the first post to add in illustration of my idea of the next iPod.

20. untoastytoast

damn you're good at photoshop. I think that actually is a sweet idea if they came up with a good way to accomodate the touch recognition, and if you choose whether you wanted it to be ws while playing videos, normal while viewing pictures/playing music etc

21. grue

grue New Member

I, for one, do NOT think it's a good idea. How are you going to operate that when it's in your pocket? It'd have the same problem as the 3rd gen units, you'd accidentally be hitting controls just by brushing your finger over them.

22. untoastytoast

that's the magic of not being the one who is designing/producing them, i leave this part for apple to figure out.

23. grue

grue New Member

...and just to reiterate, bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for high quality stereo audio transmission. I want bluetooth in an iPod, but for a different reason: Syncing contacts, playlists, and calendars. Once I've got music on my iPod, I rarely add to it, so it's usually plugged into the wall and a dock to get power, and it's plugged into my home theatre to play through there, so it's a pain in the ass to unplug it from there, plug into my computer to sync, and then plug back into the wall.

24. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

God damn dude... Your my icon for phtotshop! That is beautiful!

Making the ipod have a tivo like radio feature would be awesome!!!!!

I think that the 5th gen will be a not so huge success for a little, just like the ipod photo. Then after a while, BOOM, it's what everyone you see has.

25. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Updating podcasts ftw! If they can update all the time in iTunes automatically, it would be great if they would turn around and autosync with my iPod via BT and update that as well.

Like I said, way too inexpensive to pass up. BTW, how often do you transfer Gigs of music to your iPod? I mean really. Tranfering a song or two or updates here or there are well worth the investment. If it costs me $15 for a BT dongle, it shouldn't cost Apple even $5 to add the tech to each iPod.