A&P 5dmk2 focus speed and accuracy....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jhegro, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

i havent had the chance to play with a 5dmk2 yet...so before i take the plunge, im trying to figure out just how 'bad' the focusing speed is on it, cause i have the chance to pick one up at a fantastic price.

i shoot primarily motorsports, but im starting to get into studio stuff a bit more these days, but since my main focus is still motorsports, will the 5dmk2 focus not be able to keep up with it?

right now i have a 10d and a 30d. will the focus on the 5dmk2 be atleast as good as the 30d? cause having used the 5d, i found it a bit worse than the 30d in terms of speed and locking accuracy.

or would i just be better off looking to buy a 1dmk2 and a 1dsmk2?

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

I can't really recommend an alternative, but the 5d2 was a major let down in so far as it's video capabilities... as far as the rest :dunno:

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i don't shoot canon, but i'd imagine there is a good reason why almost every canon pro sports photographer shoots with a 1D series

on the other hand, if its a really good deal, jump on it, if it doesn't work, sell it, and hopefully you won't lose any money in the process :dunno:

4. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

while video is the last thing on my mind, can u elaborate why you thought the video capablities were a let down?

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

If you know anything about me and what Ive done, you know I got away from it.

I think for daytime motorsports at larger apertures, focus speed shouldnt be an issue. I changed back to the 1D3 for speed overall, responsiveness, ability to actually use all of the focus points I want to, and build.

If youre serious about sports, Id suggest to look for something else. Just be aware that I say this as a person who was at one point a staunch supporter of using the 5D/5D2 for sports. You can do it but after shooting with both for a few months and migrating back to the 1D3, it has never been clearer to me that they really arent the right tool for the job.

6. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Because its basically point and shoot video in HD with the ability to change lenses. You have no manual control over anything and no AF. Its neat...but not too entirely useful unless you have the time and ability to really engineer a whole shot.

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:werd: everyone was hoping for more control. and that didn't happen. The general hope is that with a firmware update, they'll address those issues.

8. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

sell me your 30d dammit

9. Easton

Easton New Member

I recently used the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark II on a race track (was running between Marshalling areas shooting the cars) and the 1Ds2 is mind-blowingly faster and better at AF than the 5D Mark II.

I had a feeling the 5D2 is a bit laggy but the difference was profound when I used the two back to back on the track.

10. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Yeh it suck not having controls over the video :greddy: