A&P 5D2/5D/1Ds mk II comparison shots.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, May 28, 2009.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Not much of a subject and these are coming from photobucket at the moment. As soon as I figure out how to get the full size images onto the ftp site that tetsuo set up I'll upload them. Lens was the 50 at f/1.4 on all shots

5D2 @1600
    [​IMG]

5D @ 1600
    [​IMG]

1Ds @1600
    [​IMG]

5D2 @ 3200
    [​IMG]

5D2 @ 6400

[​IMG]

5D2 @ 12800
    [​IMG]

5D2 @ 25600
    [​IMG]

2. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

the high ISO shots make my 20d sad :o

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

High ISO aside, do you not think that the 5D files look better than 5D2 files though? Like at 800? Or even really 1600 IMO..

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No. Once you look closely at the files in 100% crops, the 5D2 look superior. And by superior, I mean just a little bit. On a 16x20 print I don't think most people would see any difference.

6. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

I had a german guy arguing that I should use a 5dmkII instead of a 1dmkiii for landscape but I told him I didn't think the 5dII was that much better than the 5d in terms of resolving detail... And the 1dmkIII is 10mp on 1.3 crop which is slightly higher ppi than the 5d 12mp at full frame.

Also I cut off the vignetting and soft corners of most lenses automatically.

We need to stop pushing the megapixels and start pushing dynamic range, higher bit color, faster better AF and improving all the other features instead.

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:werd: When you look at all the images we've all posted from our various cameras, from the lowly Rebels and D40's, to the mighty D3, 1Dx, D300, D700, and 5D's; the only difference we're lusting after is the lens, not the MP count. If Canon and Nikon realize this, hold off on trying to woo the gullible with a 150mp sensor, and just focus on the other aspects of their products, we'd be sure to see some very nice cameras in the future, at a price that isn't repugnant.

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Meh. I guess everyone is just different. Believe me, I looked at a LOT of 100% crops and a lot of 5D files uprezzed to 21MP. I just never saw the same 'magic' that I still see with the original 5D. Yeah, its cleaner at high ISO but the 5D files just always look so sharp and poppy just straight out of the camera. Its something that I was never able to mimic with the 5D2.

9. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Well, this is what Fuji has been doing all along with their DSLR's. To this date, no other camera can touch the Fuji S3 and S5 in Dynamic Range and OOC jpeg color and these are 3-4 year old technology. Yet, no one buys their cameras. Why? Because they're "only" 6 megapixels. Do you wonder why Nikon and Canon are pushing the megapixels to their marketing departments?

10. Drunken Karnie Midget

So apply the same dynamic range to a 15mp camera. Much higher res than that, and the human eye can't tell the difference, so where else is there to grow?

11. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

If S5 wasn't so slow and expensive for what it is, I'd have one.

12. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Would be easier to see the difference with bigger pics.

13. Drunken Karnie Midget

True, but an 8x10 isn't large enough to see a difference, and there's software available such as Genuine Fractals, which will blow up an image without degrading it's quality. Do we really need more MP than what we've already got? Not really.

14. ittech

Yeah, but they have been behind in a lot of other areas, we need a big one like canon or nikon to find better ways of marketing the quality.

One neat thing is sony's auto HDR in camera stuff, if the sensor is a lot higher DR and they use some auto HDR they could get really noticably amazing images. I still think sony's a little too noisy and their lens lineup is still developing, but it's always good to have competition.

Technically canon/nikon could already make a 70+MP camera if they scale up the small point and shoot sensor to the whole size of full frame, at least they have some sort of restraint.

It's ok for the rebel/D40-60 type stuff to chase MP and face detection and other gimmicky crap for the consumer market, but the photo am/pro market that goes for stuff like the 5D really needs to ask for more.

It took way to long to get high res screens on the back of the camera, now I want OLED 800x600 displays that have transflective backlight coating so you can see them in full on sunlight like the fujitsu tablets. More powerful processors in the camera would allow for a lot better/faster viewing and even light editing, GPS built in, wifi built in, how about proper wireless flash system (bluetooth 3.0 long range?) built in.

I don't think it's too much to ask out of a 2500-5000 camera body.

15. Drunken Karnie Midget

No argument there, but wouldn't bluetooth be just a little too slow to be effective for running a flash? :sad2:

16. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Slow? All you need is to send a blip of information back and forth...

17. Drunken Karnie Midget

That's true, but isn't there always just a little bit of lag, enough so to throw off the timing as far as using it as a trigger for a flash? admittedly, the only applications involving bluetooth i've used have been with headsets, and file transfers on my phone, where immediate response isn't quite as vital.

18. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

BT has huge lag compared to RF.

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

That's what i was thinking...

20. ittech

there's some lag but i highly doubt it's over 200msec, and that's all you need to fire the flash in the 1/200 shutter time... add 50msec to the shutter delay when that mode is enabled and i'm sure it could be done.

either way, it's silly to still use optical preflash and have to pay for bulky addon pocket wizards when it could all be built in

21. ittech

BT has about 40-50msec of latency including protocol stack, once devices are paired and communicating.

i'd make the halfpress initiate the continuous communication with a 1 minute timeout to preserve battery power...

22. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Slow changes = big bucks

23. Drunken Karnie Midget

This has potential... an OTAP tech genius could whip up a working prototype, and have a patent before Nikon and Canon pull their dicks out of there MP whore. :hsugh:

24. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I'm not a BT expert, but I believe it isn't a constant connection though. Part of the reason you don't see bluetooth TV remote controls.

25. Drunken Karnie Midget

That and what'd be the point of a BT remote control? so you can change the channel when you're in the next room and not even watching the tv? :hsugh: The reason you don't see TV remote controls is because IR is sufficient, cheap, and fast.