A&P 580ex or ST-E2?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOR*CAL, Apr 25, 2008.

1. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I just bought two 430ex flashes(at a really really really realllly good deal), and I was considering either using the ST-E2 or a 580ex to control them. My setup will be for off-camera flash purposes. The price range for a ST-E2 and a 580ex isn't that significant ($185(new) vs $275(used 580ex)). I've heard the 580ex is pretty bulky on camera, while the ST-E2 makes the camera a bit more "portable".

Is there a way to make the 580ex to function just as a controller to the slave flashes? Cause if so, then I probably could live without an ST-E2 :hs:.

Another reason why I've opted for the 580ex/ST-E2 cause I'd like to keep it ETTL. Other than range and master-to-slave visibility, what would the advantage of having Pocket Wizards be?

2. aCab

aCab New Member

Do this:

Sell a 430 and buy a 580 and ST-e2. Done.

3. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

:eek3:

I guess that could be an option :noes:

4. aCab

aCab New Member

It gives you the most flexibility.

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

580 + radio poppers?

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I would go with the 580 myself.

The 580 will not only control the 430's, it will give you a third light. Both the ST-E2 and the 580 are capable of focusing the camera in very low light situations if this is important to you.

The downside is that the 580 and the ST-E2 will only work with three models of strobes and won't always fire the strobes under certain lighting conditions.

Pocket Wizards will work with any brand of strobe (with the proper cord) and can also fire your camera remotely, again with the right connector.

I chose to go with a 580EX for any on-camera (or flash bracket) work and Sunpac 383's fired via PW for off camera work. I can also use my PW's on my studio strobes as well.

7. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I don't want to spend all this $$ on nice flashes, when I can't use off camera flash with ETTL. If that were the case I would have just bought 4 Vivtar 285HV flashes + poppers.

Reason why I'm leaning towards the ETTL is that I went out to do a mini strobist shoot, and I didn't really like running back and fourth adjusting the flashes manually to get the exposure I wanted :o. I'm not saying it's going to solve my problem, but I figure it'd help.

Am I doing this for the wrong reasons?

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No, you want to do it the way Canon designed the system to work. Nothing wrong with that. I think Canons idea of being able to control all the lights from one place is wonderful, especially if the light in question is 8' above the model.

My whole thing is that I don't necessarily want to be stuck with just one system that has some limitations. I want to be able to use different brands of lights for different circumstances. I may need a more light for some shots and the Canon speedlights may not be powerful enough. That's when I bring out the studio strobes, stick a PW on it and I'm good to go.

As for running back and forth, I use a Sekonic meter with a PW module that will fire my flashes for me while I take readings. This way, I can usually make just one or two trips between the subject and the light to make all my adjustments. Besides, I don't mind doing this as I'm so use to tweaking all my lights that I find that I often make several trips to the light just to get the right angle or adjust the modifier. Making a minor correction to the power or placement is part and parcel of the job.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

if you can control the lighting situation, theres no point in ettl :hs:

ettl should only be used when you have no time or ability to change the lights

10. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I've Cactus wireless triggers, and they work great. I understand what you meant by having versatility, it's indeed awesome(I'm using two diff. brands of flashes with my triggers). I haven't decided if I wanted to modify the Cactus to a longer range and better battery life, since I'm moving over to the ETTL side. It really wasn't bad adjusting the flashes, it's just a turn of a knob on the 285HV.

I can see why you'd need stronger strobes. But for what I'm doing at the moment, Canon's system seems like it'll work for me :hs:. I'll toy around more with my triggers, and I'll compare them to the ETTL system to see how they compare.

Convenience is pretty sweet too :hs:

11. mojito

mojito New Member

use it for a shoot then say if its convenient :wtc:

12. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Cliffs?

13. mojito

mojito New Member

shit doesn't work outside with any consistency, very limited range, very little versatility with controlling exposure. Theres a time and place for it, but if you have the time to control the lighting independently, you'll be a much happier photog

14. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Mmmm. I see, so I do have a reason to keep my triggers.

Basically, to my understanding, the IR system can only be used in a 2 hour prior to sunset usage and darker? Can't be used in day light(fill flash)?

15. mojito

mojito New Member

it can, but with very intermittent results. the radiopoppers would be the best bet if you want ettl

16. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Basically that was what I was trying to figure out. I wasn't sure if they offered ETTL or not. So, I take it this is why PW cost so much :o

17. mojito

mojito New Member

PW = no ettl
    radiopoppers = ettl

why PW cost so much? the name. sure its great range and reliability, but its not that much better than the ebay knock offs

18. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Sorry I was confusing the two. I thought radiopoppers were a different name for PW.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for clearing that up for me :bigthumb:

19. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:rofl:

20. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

ettl is great for parties and quick setups. I use a 580 and 2x 550s as slaves, they work great indoors (even large areas) but outdoors you have to be pretty careful with the alignment.