A&P $500 What digital camera do you guys like in that price range?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Snafu, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Just curious...a friend of mine want to get one soon.

2. Z.

Z. _____

I picked my Canon S400 up for about that much a few months ago. I like it, but sometimes the pictures come out a little more soft than crisp, which seems to be a trait of the Elph series cameras from what I have been reading.

3. dmora

dmora Guest

save a little more and get an F717

4. _syn

_syn New Member

I have that same issue with my Elph. :wtc:

5. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Got my olympus c4000 for around $450, happy with it.

6. StanleyPain

StanleyPain Guest

I got a Sony DSC-S85 but I don't know if it's still being sold. Had it less than 6 months, good camera.

7. redna

redna New Member

Got my sony DSC-P92 5.0MP for 369 shipped on ebay. I love the cam.. best cam ive had so far. although i will be buying the DSC-F828 as soon as it's released

8. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

Canon g3's go for like 450 or so now. I was bouncing between that and the G5 for my new camera purchase choice, I ended up with the G5.

9. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

my friend's gf bought a canon s50... she seemed to really like it... seemed like a pretty sweet little camera

10. Mancini

Mancini Guest

:werd: I can't wait until that camera comes out

11. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Do they have an option to adjust the in camera sharpening? A batch sharpening job would be a simple fix.

12. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

I dont have the Canon G3... but it is an AWESOME camera, I hvave seen some results, I have the canon eos 10d but just the body is $1500

13. redna

redna New Member

14. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Since I don't need an uber small cam, and don't want one that's too big, my G2 is perfect for me. G3 would be even better. Size vs. features vs. price, I would buy it again. Then again, it depends on your priorities & needs.

15. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

I have the Canon s45. I paid $500 and it included a 256 mb flash card and a few other misc goodies too.

16. fliptight

fliptight Guest

here guy. a review page for "Top 10 Cameras under $500" to help you make your decision.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,111651,00.asp

i went with their Powershot A70, very badass camera for its price. of course i rather would've got a camera in their "Top 10 cameras for over $500" page if i had the money =/

17. fliptight

fliptight Guest

sorry i didnt read, soemone posted the link already =(

18. Vin

Vin New Member

I just recently bought a Canon S400. Does your camera make a rattling sound when shaken? So far, 2 s400's i've handled done it. I'm just paranoid.

19. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Does that camera have an orientation sensor? Usually it's the little ball they use for that feature.

20. Kronos

Kronos Guest

If you have $500 to spend, check out the Nikon CoolPix 4300. It should retail around $400, then spend that extra $100 on bigger memory cards and an extra rechargable battery. Great 4mp camera. Best thing to do is figure out what kind of photos you'll be taking, then look for one that's got features to take those kinds of pictures (i.e. Long zoom for sports) then go to the store, play with the cameras and hold them in your hands, see which one you (or your friend) likes the most.

If you spend all $500 on the camera, and that's all you're going to spend, you'll end up with a 16mb or 32MB memory card which won't hold very many pictures at the full rez your new camera is capable of. :) Just something to think about.

21. or better yet, get on ebay and get yourself a nikon coolpix 4500.. best camera below 800$ IMHO.

22. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

ive owned the top 3....

i would rank them 1. c4000 2. cp3100 3. a70

even though the a70 have manual settings while the cp3100 do now, the pic quality of the a70 was :down: it was way too soft.

the c4000 just owns.