$500 for new sub and anything else..suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by APMD, Nov 12, 2002.

1. APMD

APMD New Member

Here is the deal, I have a 500 gift card to this audio store, and I dont know what to get. I want to get new subs or sub, and either or component set or anything not sure,that is why i am asking suggestions. here are the brands they carry:

Alpine
    Audio Control
    Boston Acoustics
    Clarion
    Sony
    Rockford
    McIntosh
    Ungo
    Elcipse
    Kenwood
    JL Audio
    Kicker (maybe, dunno if they still carry it)
    PPI
    Alumapro

I am willing to dish out some extra too to get good stuff, not too much tho, maybe a hundred or so.

Any help would be great!

2. 04

04 Guest

Do you already have a cd player? If not, I would budget for aroudn 200 for a 4ch amplifier, then 100 for a subwoofer, and another 150 or so for a pair of speakers. Then spend the remaining 50 or so on cabling and tax.

I would then build an enclosure for the subwoofer for yourself, it will only cost 30 dollars or so.

3. APMD

APMD New Member

yeah sorry i wasnt more desciptive.

I have already 2 kicker amps, one for subs, and a 4 channel. I have the old kicker resolution component sets up front and a pair of eclipse 3way 6x9's in the back.

What I am looking to get a sub, either a 12 or 2 10's. From that list, I was looking at the solobarics, but am open for any suggestions. I was also thinking about replacing my component set, or sticking another component set to replace the 6x9's.

What do you think? I have a kicker zr360, that puts out 400W mono @ 2ohms. this is what i would be running the subs off of.

thanks

4. 04

04 Guest

Gotcha. I would say to keep everything and get some subwoofers and a nice enclosure for them. Like get a single 12 L7 solobaric d4vc for a 2ohm load for that amplifier. And spend the rest of the money on them building u a box. That would be my suggestion. Unless of course you could do it yourself, in that case, get two subs! At least thats what I would do anyways.

5. APMD

APMD New Member

ok well, I have an L7 12 now, and just found out that my girl got me an eclipse alum. 12

now i dont know which to put in my car.

any thoughts?

thanks

6. 04

04 Guest

I'd probably take the eclipse, but thats just me. Quite frankly, they both probably have around the same output. The Eclipse looks cooler though. :big grin:

7. D3vilz

D3vilz Guest

wanna sell me the L7? :)

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ALUMA PRO :)

9. APMD

APMD New Member

042801:

Yeah I was leaning towards the eclipse, but wanted to be anal and stick with all the same brand stuff. You are right, it definately looks better.

Honestly, I did a lot of research on subs, looked at the ID MAx, edesigns, adire, etc....and the only one i even considered i would get is the IDMAx, but they are bit pricey, and all the other ones were reccomended a lot, but they just looked down right UGLY, and i know looks dont really count, but to me they do. I mean if you are going to get a nice system (nice looking too) you would think you want nice looking subs too.

But 042801 thanks for the input you always come through!

10. APMD

APMD New Member

Ok, just found out the sub is dual 3 ohm voice coils, so those paralleled would be 1.5 Ohms. My amp is rated down to 2 ohms mono, what happens if I run the amplifier at 1.5 ohms?

11. 04

04 Guest

Quite frankly, probably nothing. I mean its hard to say, but generally amplifiers can drive lower impedence loads than they are rated at driving. Before I get flamed for this, remember, you are not going to be driving the amplifier to clipping all the time.

Not to mention the impedence of the speaker WILL change with frequency, and at the frequencies you are going to be playing it at, it could be quite a bit higher. And at system resonance, resistance WILL also be a lot higher than 2ohms.

In short, I don't think it will be a problem.

12. AMan

AMan ???????????

Is this amp that you talk about a monoblock or a 2 channel setup. If its a 2 channel amp you could always run the voice coils in series and then bridge the amp making your system run at 3 ohms. I think that running it at 1.5 ohms could be ok but would beat the shit outta the amp.