5 quick mini reviews

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lionsgraphics, Dec 25, 2006.

1. lionsgraphics

lionsgraphics OT Supporter

Wrote very quickly, so grammer is poor.

Clerks II

It was good enough for a '06 comedy. That's as far as I'm going to go. It didn't deserve to be called Clerks. I was really eager to see what Kevin Smith will do with those great characters, but he didn't even crack the potential that he built up with first Clerks. Dialogue didn't come as naturally as in Clerks, which is mind-blowing. In a way Clerks is one of the worst acted movies ever, but the dialogue flowed in a very realistic pace and gave us the illusion of a real conversation. This movie has a much better acting, but the dialogue felt like a comedian's routine. It had good amount of humor in it and I found the whole "ass to mouth" conversation brilliant, but as a motion picture, as a film it was just decent, okay, nothing special. As said before it does not deserve to be called Clerks, but it's not bad for a rental.

Renaissance

It's a weird CGI, cel-shaded, fucking practically only black and only white, animated movie. It had some great cinematography, great angles and great use of camera. Glad to see them use the camera in CGI movie the way it's supposed to. It definitely did some shit that one can't possibly do with a real camera, yet they didn't over use it. Movie felt very formulaic until the last 30 minutes, when plot thickened 10fold and characters became more complex within seconds. It was interesting to observe this change. It definitely made this film more enjoyable and more memorable. Even though it's originally in French I thought English voice over was good all around. Acting was adequate as well, thanks to animators. Overall, it was a decent mystery story. Definitely worth my time.

Children of Men

From a very first minute until the last one this movie is depressing as fuck. It shows that it doesn't take too long for us to lower ourselves to our instincts and primal desires. It was definitely a scary outlook on what might happen and it was done in a gritty way. I liked the way Cuaron presented future (I found it to be realistic) and yes in 2027 we still don't have flying cars, thank god. Even tho' CGI is not in your face, special effects are all over your screen. Many things in this movie from animated posters in the background to windshield breaking were generated on a computer and were done in a seamless way. I loved cinematography and that dark gritty feel all around. The 4-5 minute shots without any cuts were very immersive. Dialogue wasn't mindblowing, but it was far from bad. Overall it was a good film if you don't mind movies that wallow in weaknesses of our species.

Thank you for Smoking.

"You know the guy who can pick up any girl? I'm him. On crack"

And pause. Once you hear that line, you're prepared for some crazy ass dialogue/monologue/shittalkinglogue. However, it never came. That guy on crack never came. So all I can tell you is that this movie is a waste of talent, since all actors did a great job, very well acted movie, but the content was weak. It wasn't that funny either. Main type of humor that is overused in this movie is irony. There's lots of it, and it wasn't that funny. Maybe if I was a smoker……but I'm not.

However, if you're looking for that guy, on crack, watch "A Scanner Darkly". Robert Downey Jr. rips shit apart with 5 syllable words at 150 words per minute. I have to say though, A Scanner Darkly is a mediocre movie as well.

Little Miss Sunshine

I think it is probably the best comedy of the year. If not the best, then definitely in top 2. Oh and Abigail Breslin has as much talent as ridiculously popular Dakota Fanning, yet I don't have the urge to stab her in the face when she's on my screen. If she doesn't fuck up, I believe she'll be fucking big. Characters are the reasons that made this movie fucking great and their interaction seems so fucking real. Alan Arkin stole the whole fucking movie with his character and his awesome fucking portrayal of grumpy, ill-tempered grampa; and at the same time being the sweetest guy ever when he was alone with his granddaughter. Things like these in this movie gave so much depth to each character within only 100 minutes that I have to say that the writing was brilliant as well. This movie is a prime example of the beauty of the independent films.

2. RayC

RayC Don't 'cha wish your offense was hot like me???

Where did you see Renaissance and Children of Men?

3. lionsgraphics

It was playing at our local theater that plays independent movies. However, that's not where I snatched them :hsugh:

4. schismatik

schismatik \m/

Great reviews. I enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine plenty myself.

5. lionsgraphics

6. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I like Renaissance and Little Miss Sunshine :)

7. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

Little Miss Sunshine was a good movie but hardly the funniest movie of the year. Honestly, it wasn't even that funny it was just well made and amusing throughout.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Thank You For Smoking sucked compared to the book. The book is wonderful.

9. lionsgraphics

I thought it sucked as a movie.