A&P 5 Nightshots(~100k each)- Powershot A70

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fliptight, Sep 4, 2003.

1. fliptight

fliptight Guest

3 shots from Las Colinas:

wanted to try a brighter shot on this last on but ran out of battery =(

Plano area:

my car. converted to b/w in photoshop.

erm. that's it. i like this camera.
  2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

very :cool: and interesting shots
  3. fliptight,
    What mode did you use to take those?
    Did you use a flash?
    Are any of them Edited in a photo imaging software to make them appear more sharp?
    What Shutter Speed & Aperature did you use
    Autofocus or Manual Focus?
    I just want to know becuase i have an a70 and mine come out like shit

I use a tripod too.

Nice ass Fuckin pictures BTW!
  4. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    wow I like all of them but the second (well it just dosent have much to it) but dont take my opinion for much, I dont heh.

But the other ones are real nice.

I used to live by Las Colinas (though I never went there much) for a while I was in Irving everynight and I kept thinking I would take a trip to Las Colinas... but well I never did heh... But I remember those horses... take more photos of them showing all the horses... arent there like 6 of them?

Well good job.
  5. fliptight

fliptight Guest

hard, these were all taken in manual mode with FLASH OFF, there's no reason to take night photography with flash on, specially when you have a tripod. and oh yeah, i used some generic good-enough tripod. again, i used a 2 second self-timer to avoid camera shake.

basically, you need to learn how to meter with your camera. every camera will try to judge how much light is needed to expose the image to a proper brightness (correct exposure) and calculate this automatically for you. the better the camera is, the better they are at predicting the proper exposure.

so anyway, the A70 will show you how far off you are from it's recommendation on the upper left corner by showing a numerical digit in the range of -2 to +2 *when you press the shutter halfway down* (NOT ALL THE WAY, that takes the picture).
    get used to this.

ok so what the hell does this number mean. ok suppose manually pick an aperture of 5.6 (a good starting value for night shots), it determines internally that the proper exposure for this shot is 8 seconds.

HOWEVER, you have it set at 4 seconds at f/5.6 so when you press the shutter halfway down it will show "-1". that means you are one stop TOO dark.

to step aside a little bit if you dont know the meaning of a 'stop':

a stop means the doubling OR halving of the light that enters. in shutter speed this is easy

1/30th(of a second) to 1/60 is halfing the light that enters (stopping down 1 stop)

1/30 to 1/15 you double the light that enters (stopping up 1 stop)

in aperture, the value is a bit weird so you just gonna have to remember it.

largest amount of light --> f/2.8 f/4.0 f/5.6 f/8.0 --> smallest amount of light.

so you see the in this case the smaller the value the more the light.
    you'll also notice course our camera has values in between f/2.8 and f/4.0. thats cuz it lets us adjust 1/3 stop each way. so between the whole stops of f/2.8 and f/4.0 there's f/3.2(one-third), f/3.5(two-thirds),
    and finally f/4.0(one whole stop).

and of course, two stops means you need to double or half the value twice.

so 1/30 to 1/8 is 2 stops darker (1/30 to 1/15 to 1/8)
    and f/5.6 to f/2.8 is 2 stops brighter

so you're one stop too dark. you can either adjust the aperture to double the light needed, or adjust the shutter speed. if you wanna keep the aperture at f/5.6 then you need to double the shutter speed.

so you adjust it to 8seconds try to match it and boom when you press the shutter half-way down to see the meter, it should now say "+/-0"
    meaning you properly adjusted the exposure to capture the scene properly according to the camera's judgement.

likewise if you had it set at 15 seconds, the meter will tell you that you are one stop too bright (+1), and you need to half it. yeah there's no 7.5 so do 8 seconds jerkface. keep in mind that the amount of light changes from scene to scene so REMEMBER to meter it again to see how far you're off from the setting.

OH YEAH, if the value is a red -2 or a red +2 that means you are WAY OFF by more than two stops on your selected shutterspeed and aperture. if it is a white -2 or a white +2 then you are right on the dot two stops off.

ok so now i gave you a long ass tutorial on BASIC metering with the A70. i hope you are able to comprehend all this. this is basically the whole learning curve for basic metering with the A70.

just to let you know the camera won't be right ALL the time about it's judgement on proper exposure and sometimes you'll need to settle for something that's a bit off from the matching "+/-0" value. but do know this camera in particular is right for the most part.

one more thing, sometimes it looks TOO bright on the lcd monitor and you're like eh this is too bright. DONT DELETE IT! when you transfer it to the computer and see it on the screen more often than not, it actually looks good. the A70's lcd is normally too bright at night so u can't tell that it looks right.
  6. aloe

aloe Active Member OT Supporter

Aug 26, 2002
    nice pics... just noticed those pics are hosted on UTD webspace

UTD sr here :wavey: