5 days cutting, 2 days bulking?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by about:blank, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

I've gotten back into working out and been back for 6 weeks now. I'm not getting any results, no strenght gain, no weight loss. I'd like to increase my numbers, but I would also like to drop fat (manteats ftl). For the past 3 weeks it seems that I'm not seeing any positive results, actually becoming weaker.

My plan: Essentially I would pick the days to eat above maintance that follow my workouts. Since I'm following the Bill Starr routine it would be Mondays (squats, dead, bench and incline db) and Tuesdays (rest). I'm also very curious to the effects of 5 day a week cut followed by bulk.

Unless there are health risks to this I'm ready to go ahead with this.

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

3. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

in essence that is what a diet like UD2 is... an anabolic gain phase followed by a catabolic fat loss phase over the course of each week. But this only works if you know what you are doing, as far as manipulating glycogen levels and carbohydrate intake and such.

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Wait... you only workout once a week?

5. about:blank

No, Bill Starr to the dot, 3 times a week. HIIT on Epiliptical (1minute sprint, 30 sec rest for 10 minutes). Sometimes I might come in on a Sunday for HIIT. I'm thinking of bulking during the heaviest day of the workout routine, Mondays, which are Squat, Deadlift, Bench and Inclide DB.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Gotcha. So its like having two cheat days pretty much?

Are you going to be counting your calories then?
    So long as you average out for the week being in a deficit I guess.
    I was actually considering something similar but the opposite... for when I bulk.

7. about:blank

Yes, I just want to see results, either weight loss or strenght gain. Counting calories is pretty easy since I structure my meals. 1 cup of cereal + 1 cup of milk in the morning (fiber + cereal 350 to 400 cal), energy bar between lunch breakfast (150 cal), lunch (soup 500 cal), protein shake (200 cal), light dinner (no more than 500 cal).

On bulk days I would not limit my portions, basically eat more for lunch (large burrito instead of tortilla chicken soup) and dinner (steak instead of chicken breast) while doing the same things as on cutting days.

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you're getting weaker, it sounds like you're not eating enough in the first place, or you're pushing yourself too hard. What's your weight and caloric intake look like atm?

9. about:blank

207 to 210lb. Trying to not eat more than 2000 calories per day. I don't know what qualifies as pushing too hard, I always put fourth 100% at the gym.

10. about:blank

Most days I sleep pretty good, some days only 5 hours. Most of the time 7 to 8 hours.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm thinking about that too. 2 low-carb/lower-cal days with glycogen depleting exercises would deplete glycogen stores and permit a higher carb intake after without these carbs turning to fat. This will also lead to a carb loading probably, thus letting a lot more carbs going into the glycogen stores than usual.

12. Durk

Durk New Member

Too complicated

13. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Sounds like you might not be eating enough, honestly. Bump your calories by a couple hundred per day and see how you feel. 10-12 cals/lb (which is what you sound like you're eating at) is technically cutting calories.

14. about:blank

Some progress:

195x5 bench (up from 185x5 2 weeks ago), barely put it up on my last rep.
    195x5 deadlifth (near perfect form, up from 175x5 2 weeks ago) still have lots of room, but I'm developing good form.
    175x5 incline bench (up from 165x5 2 weeks ago) had to really push the last rep.

Squats I felt that I needed to improve form so I stuck to 195x5 on my last set and it was perfect. I'm going to go back to 225+ after 2 weeks.

I technically bulked for 4 days, I've been cutting for the last 2.

15. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You realize that "bulking" for 4 days and "cutting" for 2 will likely put you at an overall maintenance pattern for the week, unless you're seriously putting some effort into balancing out the calories. You've been lifting for a bit; you're likely not going to be able to use noob gains to help you out, and you're going to have to pick what you want: eat a little more and get strong and build muscle, or eat less and lose mostly fat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.